DAY TWO - Silver September 2013

September 2nd was a holiday, so we rented a kayak and a paddle board and clouds-be-damned took the family out on the Charles River.

lw9r.jpg

Both. He was a little antsy up on the board and kept shifting around. And she wanted a piece of that action... the seat was too safe and boring for her. Then, of course, she wanted to paddle (nopenopenope).

September 2nd - sat for a couple of hours in the garden at the asylum where Van Gogh stayed for 18months in St-Remy-de-Provence. A beautiful peaceful place. There is much to think about in such a place.

Lots in Provence, including Cezanne who's studio in Aix-en-Provence I went to visit, and where there is NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED!! (gasps from bewildered audience) but at this mental asylum Van Gogh is the only well known patient. Arles has a cheek trading on his name after they raised a petition to get him locked up after a bit of a bust up with Gauguin, it was very lucky that he got to St-Remy a few months later where they were very kind to him and allowed him as much painting time as he wanted, 150-200 canvasses painted during his 18months there, some quite well known. Wonderful to see the settings for real, helps me understand better.

I'll stick up more pics of the trip on a separate thread. We've been doing Van Gogh backwards - started at Auvers-sur-Oise at his grave, then St-Remy and Arles, Paris... Holland awaits at some point.

Back