1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

December Doodads - Day Nine

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by wt21, Dec 8, 2013.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    • Like Like x 5
  2. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    Chris
    11283652643_5a91afee31_c.
    Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

It's now the coldest it has been in over a decade This early into winter in central California. Much of the citrus crops are dying off weeks before they were ready to harvest, especially the tangelos, cuties and halos style mandarin oranges people love in the winter.

Let's hope the winter comes with enough rains to help ease the 4 year drought.

• Like Like x 7
  3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Through a Lens Blurringly

• Like Like x 6
  4. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Julie-Anne
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    • Like Like x 7
  6. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  7. TheRubySusan

TheRubySusan SC Top Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Beautiful photo, awful weather report. In So. Ill, some farmers have given up on peaches entirely (the consistent problem there was a late frost when the peaches were blooming) and at least one cut down all their peach trees except the late bloomers and grafted from those. It's heartbreaking to loose a crop. And a long drought on top of it! Here's hoping you get plenty of rain. And the right kind of rain - slow, that soaks in gently.

8. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Lovely lighting, and just enough detail for those "in the know." I did a double take, said, "That looks like a post box - an older one" and was delighted to get down to the title and see I was right. I feel like a real world traveller now!
    If I get back to England often enough I want a "complete set" going back to Victoria - I've heard there are a few of hers around still.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Yes, you still see occasional post boxes with VR markings. I guess the age of a post box generally reflects the age of the surrounding houses, so Victorian post boxes will crop up in towns with streets of Victorian houses.

There were a lot of 1930s houses where I took that shot, so that will be G for George V or George VI.

-R

10. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    Thanks for the explanation.... for a minute i thought you painted and tatooed a Ricoh:biggrin:

11. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    No, and before you ask, if you see ER on a red metal cylinder in the street over here, it's not the Emergency Room :wink:

-R

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Lol!

Sent from my MB865 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

13. Woody112704

Woody112704 SC Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Iowa
    Jared
    I have a growing collection of Bumble memorabilia from the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon. Here's one of the collection.

11298455943_c5d0b3d972_b.
    decemberdoodads2-3 by woody112704, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  14. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Seen at the open house for the one room school outside town yesterday. I love the name. "Climax (no. 3) Pencil Sharpener!" And it's automatic, no less! The latest patent listed is 1921. Interesting, I just noticed this - place of manufacture is given as Chicago, USA, not Chicago, IL!

11301484625_c178a0bfac_b.
    Climax No. 3 Pencil Sharpener by rubyj29, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5