1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

December Doodads - Day Two

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by wt21, Dec 2, 2013.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nothing screams Doodad like my genuine Mao Tse Tung Lighter, made in China no less. Fortunately, my focusing was better than whoever did the portrait:

Mao-L.

• Like Like x 7
  3. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Now that's a doodad I never expected to see. Care to share an interesting story behind how you acquired it?

4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's not that interesting. My friend went on an orchestra trip to China. As a souvenir, she brought me a set consisting of this lighter and a tiny bent pipe smaller than the lighter. Although I did smoke a pipe at the time, I suspect the other part of this kit was not designed for tobacco.:wink: The lighter proudly adorns the shelf in my office and confuses my students. I've hidden the pipe since that might confuse the administration.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheRubySusan

TheRubySusan SC Top Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Lol! Yes, that's a doodad indeed!

6. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    I overslept. Things kept coming up to keep me from getting out under a white sky and exploring this diffused light I've been reading such good things about, not that it looked very inviting from my window. Then it got dark and started raining. So, here's one from yesterday - a shell, I believe a freshwater mussel shell, under the ice. I don't know if Henry was ever part of the industry, but I'm pretty sure these critters were harvested for the making of buttons in the late 19th/ early 20th centuries. As I remember it, that's not shallow DOF so much as distortion from the ice, but I was happy to catch the bit of iridescence on the edge of the shell that caught my eye in the first place.

11183646854_cb95e65357_b.
    Shell Under Ice by rubyj29, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  7. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    Chris
    Close up of my wife's favorite: The Bubble Light. Long exposure makes the bubbles not as obvious.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/staticantics/11185852666/" title="Bubble Light Close Up by staticantics, on Flickr"> 11185852666_b65df932b9_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Bubble Light Close Up"></a>

• Like Like x 7
  8. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Julie-Anne
  9. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Oh, wow! Befuddled at first, but I figured it out before I saw the caption!

• Like Like x 2
  10. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    Chris
    Whoops, forgot to add some text. I'll do that now. Thanks, Ruby.

• Like Like x 1
  11. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    • Like Like x 7
  12. adanac

adanac SC Veteran

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Catching up, happened to grab these at bowling night. We don't use 10-pin in our league, all 5 pin. Apparently it's a Canadian thing.
    20131202DSC00051.

• Like Like x 7
  13. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    I really like this image. It resonates with me on many levels....including the apt title you picked. Reminds me a little of Marcel Proust's multiple-volume tome, 'Remembrance of Things Past' ((A la Recherche du Temps Perdu) which is about may things....but ultimately, how we remember the past.

Great photograph.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Julie-Anne
    Thanks Miguel. :smile: