Leica Did I drink the Leica Kool-aid...

I think my resolution not to buy a new camera in 2013 has to be my biggest New Year's Resolution fail ever. Last year's resolution to lose weight comes close though :rolleyes:.

No more cameras or lenses this year. For sure!*

*Doesn't include cameras and lenses already ordered, pre-ordered, those with deposits placed, or gifts received. Or trades :).

So having 'discovered' the Leica, can you articulate what it is about the Leica experience that started this? I've had my M8.2 for over two years and I still can't explain what it is, and why the DSLR feels so uninspiring post-Leica.

I've had a similar feeling before with film rangefinders and even some film SLRs. I guess with the Leicas there are a few things going on: 1) Controls are very simple and intuitive. There's nothing extra, and the basics couldn't be easier to control. I do wish there were an exposure comp dial though. 2) Using the rangefinder focus method is satisfying, like solving a silly little puzzle every time I focus (not meant in a insulting way, I like silly puzzles); 3) It's nice using an OVF sometimes. I like EVFs too, but the change of pace is nice; 4) The cameras feel very solid and well made; 5) There is a whole world of old lenses with distinctive looks to choose from; 5) Zone focusing is super easy.

2) Using the rangefinder focus method is satisfying, like solving a silly little puzzle every time I focus

There's something about this one.

I also very much prefer manual focusing now.

I have never been able to work out what exposure compensation does, isn't it a matter of adjusting shutter speed yourself to the correct setting, instead of telling the camera to override your settings? I tend to use manual settings mostly, or aperture priority if in bright daylight.

Exposure compensation overides tells the camera to make an adjustment to what it chooses for shutter speed in A mode, for aperture in S mode, or in some cameras for ISO in M mode.

Example: I am shooting in A mode with a backlit subject. The Leica will choose a shutter speed that makes my subject dark. If I set +2EV exposure compensation, the camera will use 2 stops slower shutter speed. It's the same as if I take the shutter speed the camera is telling me in the viewfinder in A mode and then manually switching the shutter speed to 4x longer than that, except I don't have to check the shutter speed the camera is telling me first.

Leica has exposure comp in a menu or enabled via button and dial combination. I'd rather have it on a dedicated dial where the setting is visible. It's a glaring omission from a camera that otherwise makes so much sense.

Okay, okay, this better?

8644491117_6cb176e2ee_b.jpg

Starting lineup by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

hmmmm... you need an EOS-m in there :D

I was wondering if you still had your m43 or NEX gear.

Do you find there's too much overlap with the Fuji and Leica? Not that I'd ever be able to buy a Lecia (I am soooooo glad your M8 sold!) but I am just wondering. They would seem to me to be very similar shooting experiences, especially in lowlight (where the Fuji can't AF anyway :D.

I had been trying to figure out what was going on Amin, congrats!
I too just yesterday traded everything...NEX-7, 6 really nice lenses and acquired a black M9. Only have 2 lenses... a 90 and a 28 but based on my experience, I'm really quite excited for you!

Do you find there's too much overlap with the Fuji and Leica? Not that I'd ever be able to buy a Lecia (I am soooooo glad your M8 sold!) but I am just wondering. They would seem to me to be very similar shooting experiences, especially in lowlight (where the Fuji can't AF anyway :D.

There's not too much overlap for me. For one thing, my Fuji has an EVF, which for me is an equally good but very different alternative to an OVF. For another, my lens options for the two systems are very different (50mm equiv and standard zoom for Fuji and 35mm equiv for Leica). Lastly amd most significantly, I've had no issues with the Fuji AF (low light or otherwise), and that is super different in use from manually focusing on the Leica. For me, using the Fuji is a lot more like using MFT or NEX than it is like using the Leica.

LOL, that M8 didn't last very long, Amin! Looks like you're climbing the ladder faster than even we expected!

@James - DSLR's just don't feel right to me any more. I only use them professionally because I have to; the M9 is my go-to camera for all high quality personal work. I tried shooting the 5D Mark II just walking around a couple of weekends ago, and it felt big, clunky and strange. This is a far cry from how I used to feel in 2009, pre-M9. In those days I felt security with the 5D, like it was a 'real camera'. But now it's just this big heavy lump of plastic. It seems that I simply have to accept that I prefer smaller cameras.

Mind you, when I'm working, the 5D disappears in my hands. I guess it's a mindset, too. When I'm shooting for myself, I much prefer the M9 or something even smaller.

Nice Amin!

And thanks for confirming for me that I should stay far, far away from Leica. My willpower is evidently about the same as yours when it comes to camera purchases and that's one [expensive] road I don't need to go down :D

I think my resolution not to buy a new camera in 2013 has to be my biggest New Year's Resolution fail ever. Last year's resolution to lose weight comes close though :rolleyes:.

No more cameras or lenses this year. For sure!*

*Doesn't include cameras and lenses already ordered, pre-ordered, those with deposits placed, or gifts received. Or trades :).

That M9 is not a new camera. So how did you fail your New Years resolution.

Exposure compensation overides tells the camera to make an adjustment to what it chooses for shutter speed in A mode, for aperture in S mode, or in some cameras for ISO in M mode.

Example: I am shooting in A mode with a backlit subject. The Leica will choose a shutter speed that makes my subject dark. If I set +2EV exposure compensation, the camera will use 2 stops slower shutter speed. It's the same as if I take the shutter speed the camera is telling me in the viewfinder in A mode and then manually switching the shutter speed to 4x longer than that, except I don't have to check the shutter speed the camera is telling me first.

Leica has exposure comp in a menu or enabled via button and dial combination. I'd rather have it on a dedicated dial where the setting is visible. It's a glaring omission from a camera that otherwise makes so much sense.

I guess what I do like about the simple controls and I really don't need a dedicated exposure comp button is that the shutter dial and Leica lenses use two clicks to change the settings one stop. So if I have a back lit subject and as I normally have the shutter set to A I see what the shutter speed is in the viewfinder and then overexpose the shutter speed manually by a stop and a half. That's my example of how I handle exposure compensation.

Back