Leica Did I drink the Leica Kool-aid...

The Zeiss 35/2.0 Biogon is truly remarkable. Zero distortion as far as I can tell. Sharp wide open. Edge to edge, corner to corner sharp at moderate apertures. No focus shift. Haven't noticed any field curvature. Pleasing out of focus rendition. Flare resistant. Superb build and feel. If there is a better 35mm lens out there, I haven't tried it, and I don't need it.

Leica Summilux 35 FLE is calling you ...

I also like the Biogon ZM 35/2 a lot. The Biogon ZM 35/2.8 is even sharper, smaller and cheaper. But you do lose one stop, which makes a difference for cameras like the M8/8.2/9.

I've tried the Summicron 35 v.4 (aka "bokeh king"), Biogon 35/2, Biogon 35/2.8, and I still have Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4. Out of these four, I liked the Biogon 35/2 the best as an all purpose lens.

... Out of these four, I liked the Biogon 35/2 the best as an all purpose lens.

I've used my brother's Summilux 35 FLE, and I prefer the Biogon. There really is no "upgrading" this lens as far as I am concerned.

I also got the Voigtlander Ultron 28/2, which is also great, but it has some focus shift and mild barrel distortion. If the Zeiss 35/2 lens has any weaknesses, I haven't found them yet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Here is a good comparison of the RX1 Sonnar vs M9 with CZ Biogons and CV Nokton:
» Sony RX1 Sonnar 35mm vs. Leica M9 and Biogon 35mm ZM lenses review - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

Biogons are very good. He also talks highly of latest CV lenses including CV 21mm 1.8, but he wants a Sonnar for his M9:)

I also like the Biogon ZM 35/2 a lot. The Biogon ZM 35/2.8 is even sharper, smaller and cheaper. But you do lose one stop, which makes a difference for cameras like the M8/8.2/9.

I've tried the Summicron 35 v.4 (aka "bokeh king"), Biogon 35/2, Biogon 35/2.8, and I still have Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4. Out of these four, I liked the Biogon 35/2 the best as an all purpose lens.

Here is a good comparison of the RX1 Sonnar vs M9 with CZ Biogons and CV Nokton:
» Sony RX1 Sonnar 35mm vs. Leica M9 and Biogon 35mm ZM lenses review - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

Biogons are very good. He also talks highly of latest CV lenses including CV 21mm 1.8, but he wants a Sonnar for his M9:)

I've been lusting after a CV21/1.8 and a ZM50/1.5 Sonnar. But I already have three 50mm lenses and rarely shoot with the CV21/4 I have. But the allure of a fast super wide ...

His discussion is interesting. It's a pity he didn't show the comparative data (or better yet, post the RAW files).

Comparing the RX1 lens and the 35/2.0 Biogon, I don't think anyone can really determine a "winner". Both are outstanding, and it comes down to tastes and enjoying subtle differences between great lenses. Eg, the Sonnar may be slightly sharper at large apertures and have smoother bokeh, while the Biogon may have less distortion and color fringing.

Zeiss calls the 35/2.0 Biogon "the powerful all-rounder", and I think that's a perfect description. It isn't the fastest or sharpest lens but seems exceptionally well-sorted overall.

Here's a first snap with the 28mm f/2 Ultron wide open:

View attachment 66520
L1006739 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

The Ultron also seems like a great lens, but I think it'll be hard for me not to obsess about the focus shift. If I were to commit to the lens, I'm sure I could adjust to it, but I have commitment issues with lenses.

Those are neat lenses:) Sonnar has very nice bokeh but focus shift might be an issue...

Is it easy to focus 21mm lens on m9 eg esp at 1.8? Can you see the whole shot in the viewfinder?

I've been lusting after a CV21/1.8 and a ZM50/1.5 Sonnar. But I already have three 50mm lenses and rarely shoot with the CV21/4 I have. But the allure of a fast super wide ...

Good shots Amin. Enjoy your m8 & lenses.

I saw refurbished 1 yr leica warranty m9's for $3500, but of course they were all sold out. At lease used m prices are going down. I have enough rf lenses, so I can try a m8 also. But my concern is focus accuracy and focus shift as I never tried those lenses with a rf. With mirrorless, those issues are all gone. I guess only way is to try one, very slippery slope:)

Those are neat lenses:) Sonnar has very nice bokeh but focus shift might be an issue...

Is it easy to focus 21mm lens on m9 eg esp at 1.8? Can you see the whole shot in the viewfinder?

The M9 viewfinder only goes to 28mm. You would need the external 21mm viewfinder to properly frame with a 21mm lens on the M9. Of course the 21mm is going to act like a 28mm lens on the M8 due to its cropped sensor.

Tim Ashley tested the RX1 and found that there was no focus shift: Tim Ashley Photography | Sony RX1:prepare to be a lot amazed and a little annoyed

Good shots Amin. Enjoy your m8 & lenses.

I saw refurbished 1 yr leica warranty m9's for $3500, but of course they were all sold out. At lease used m prices are going down. I have enough rf lenses, so I can try a m8 also. But my concern is focus accuracy and focus shift as I never tried those lenses with a rf. With mirrorless, those issues are all gone. I guess only way is to try one, very slippery slope:)

Thanks, Serhan. I think RF photography isn't for everyone, and I don't think it's ever going to be most of my photography, but it's a very enjoyable change of pace.

Focus shift is with 50mm 1.5 Sonnar and rf cameras.

I am enjoying the slower manual shooting with the nex+speed booster+manual lenses as long as the cats don't move:)

For street shots I really like the loose shooting with the smaller RX100, but I have to watch the shutter speed. I should have switch to speed priority. Otherwise I shot mainly 28mm-35mm range last summer and had no problems with focus at night. OMD+12-35 was sitting in my backpack.

Tim Ashley tested the RX1 and found that there was no focus shift: Tim Ashley Photography | Sony RX1:prepare to be a lot amazed and a little annoyed

Thanks, Serhan. I think RF photography isn't for everyone, and I don't think it's ever going to be most of my photography, but it's a very enjoyable change of pace.

I don't have a 21/1.8 (yet). So I can't answer that question. My CV21/4 came with an external hotshoe OVF for 21mm. The OVF on the M9 only goes to 28mm. But sometimes I shoot the 21mm without the hotshoe OVF. I just guesstimate!

With a properly calibrated rangefinder I have no issues focusing a 35mm 1.2, 135mm f3.4 (considered one of the hardest to focus) or a 50mm 1.1. So the 21mm 1.8 should be no problem. But if your rangefinder is just the slightest bit off it can be a right royal pain with fast lenses. Neither of my M9's came from the factory perfect. And I'm just anal enough to have spent nearly 9 hours straight re-calibrating a single camera two weeks ago when it came back from repair. But, for me, it was worth it. I guess I get about 90-95% shots in focus unless the subject is moving. With pre focusing i can get about 80% of shots of moving subjects in focus now.

Gordon

Back