Sony Ding dong, Sony's done it. I no longer want a D600

nianys

Veteran
Better admit it from the start, I'm a shallow DOF addict. I've never grown out of the shoot-wide-open-and-blur-the-hell-out-of-everything-stage. I might be photographically infantile, who knows, but that creamy magic still works for me as much as the first time I saw a subject in sharp focus and everything else smoothed out.
So, of course, I'm an FF fan. My 2 D700's were the most satisfying cams I ever had (even though the GX-1 was probably the more*enjoyable* cam I've had).
When I read about the soon to be release "affordable", and smaller D600, I was head over heels.

Enters, NEX. After 6 months of forced deeper DOF diet with m4/3 (which has great qualities aside of this), the renewed creaminess of APS-C was just Godsent, I basked in it. So much that I don't even long for a D600 anymore. I'm never getting a camera without full time exposure simulation (live view) or focus peaking again.

So for me, despite the deep annoyance at the 5N many flaws and quirks (not so fast operation, not so great ergonomics, wonky UI and more), I've found my home. A camera that actually frees me of AF by allowing me to (almost easily) achieve critical manual focus. Everybody is complaining (rightly so) about a lack of lens choices for the system, but that's seing only one side of the coin. There are actually endless lens options for this camera, since any dummy like me can actually nail focus on a wide open fast prime without even the help of a viewfinder !

I did buy the 18-55 and will slap it on the camera for vacations snaps when I'm likely to hand the camera to my husband. Other than that, I'm a portraitist and it's gonna be bokehdelicious primes from now on. Sure, I'll miss shots. Or rather, it's gonna totally turn upside down the way I used to shoot (snap, snap, snap, dozens of frames of a same subject, and then sort the great expressions). With manual focus, you have to hold on and be ready until the perfect split second comes along. It makes you a more thorough photographer. And I believe, a better one in the process. The 35/1.8 is in the cards for me, as a "normal" prime when I need guaranteed reliabilty, but I think it'll take a back seat to the manual beauties and act mostly as a back-up.

When Sony decided to enter the DSLR game a few years back, I was the MOST skeptical person about their photographic future. Only fools don't change their minds ;)

LOL I thought this was going to be a thread about the RX1...

NEX-5N is wonderful for adapted lenses. I don't think the ergonomics are bad at all, the customizeable controls help a lot, the grip is very good and the lack of a mode dial is less conspicuous when using adapted lenses.

I kinda wish it looked more like a 'camera', but no big deal.

Back