1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Disk space remaining

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hi, I'm running out of my disk space remaining, 250kB is left.
    I don't wanna delete any uploaded photo(s).
    Any suggestions?

Maybe I got to buy another camera and move to another forum?
    Nikon mirrorless got my attention!

2. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Do you mean on your PC/Mac or up here on the SC site?

If the former - get yourself another hard-drive. Got a 750Gb USB plug-in portable for about $100
    If the latter - post on Flickr and just paste the BBCode in your nominated thread. My experience is that you'll actually get more feedback and exposure via Flickr. Hey if you can tolerate the ads then it's free!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flickr is only free for 200 images. You want to store more you need a premium account. Reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    The SC space remaining is too less right now. I tried to upload a new picture but did not succeed. I have to delete previous uploaded images. And that I don't wanna do. I will upload to DPreview.

5. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I actually this problem on my hard drive. It is forcing me to delete all my crappy pictures :eek: Eventually, I'll upgrade the drive to 750 GBs. Performance of the machine (Macbook Pro) is being impacted by not having enough free disk space.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I think what Herman means is that he has run out of space here on Serious Compacts - not on his computer. Am I correct Herman?

This is one of the reasons having a Flickr account or some other web hosting site so as to be able to embed directly is a very handy thing. https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/

We do have limited Gallery space, as discussed https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/serious-compacts-gallery-faq-46/:

That is completely up to you. We want our Gallery to be a showcase of member photography, so please make use of it! However, our resources are finite, so it makes sense to use outside hosting if your needs exceed what we can provide.

• Like Like x 2
  7. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Zenfolio is 50 a year and is what I use.

Microsoft gives you 25Gb of space for free and works very well for hosting pictures and embedding them too. Check out Microsoft Sky Drive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I didnt realise you could embed from Sky Drive. I have two live.com accounts, 50G between them, could be very useful. I don't think I'll be renewing my flickr account next year.

Another place I use frequently is ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting. Accounts are free, and so far I have not found a limit to how many shots I can have but no doubt there is one. Imageshack gives a bazillion ways to embed, from linking to the actual shot page, to the shot itself, to thumbnails of the shot linking it, to links for forums, email etc. Its very flexible and is designed purely for hosting pix to display elsewhere, it is not really intended as a gallery site in and of itself, although it could be used that way. I tend to use it for stuff I don't necessarily think is flickr worthy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I use Zenfolio to host most of my pictures, then share on forums from there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    • Like Like x 1