Featured Ditsworthy Warren House-otherwise the farm house in the movie Warhorse

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by grebeman, Oct 14, 2017.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

In an isolated spot in south west Dartmoor lies Ditsworthy Warren House which was used as the farmhouse during location filming of Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Michael Morpurgo's novel "Warhorse".

The images, taken on a Sigma DP1M, were made on two different days hence the different lighting conditions. With the exception of one image they are all in my favourite medium of black and white.

P1M0720-Foveon-Classic-Blue-Levels.

P1M0720-Foveon-Classic-Blue-Levels_SEFX_Landscape-Brightness-Adjustments.

P1M0722-Foveon-Classic-Blue-SEFX-Landscape_Subtle-Amplify-Whites.

P1M0634-Fovean-Classic-Blue-SEFX-HCOrange.

P1M0645-Foveon-Classic-Blue-SEFX-Landscape_Dramatic.

Barrie

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Ooh I like the last one - the sensation of shelter from the conditions in this empty landscape is almost tangible

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. grebeman

You're right there Bart, it's a wild and lonely place, certainly for southern England. I was reminded of another image I have of the site, this time captured with a m4/3 camera which hopefully conveys similar feelings. It was actually taken in early June of 2014, so summer hereabouts, well it was supposed to be!

140602-1010213.

Barrie

• Like Like x 3
  4. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Captured the feeling of the place really well here. I know the area vaguely and appreciate it is harder than it looks to capture the essence of the moors down that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    That is very true. We used to live on the moor, and I can confirm that - when standing and looking at its bleak and wild beauty - it seems as though taking a decent photo would be the easiest thing in the world... BUT... it ain't necessarily so!

It's often far harder than it would appear, to translate that ruggedness into an image that does it justice.

6. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    I stayed at Start Point a number of years ago. It is not far from Slapton Sands where the Allies practised for the D Day Landings. The whole area is wonderfully photogenic. Shame I was there before I caught the photo bug. The South Devon area is on my bucket list so I can try to remedy that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. grebeman

Thanks for your comments gentlemen, with the end of the tourist season approaching I shall probably be out around the coast on suitable days with a camera or two. Just a few minutes drive thankfully.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1