1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you shoot with or without...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    any filter(s)?
    Which filter(s) you recommend and why?
    Whats your main reason using filter(s), why you do shooting without filer(s)?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I have a high quality clear filter (most of the time I get B+W UV filters but not for the UV blocking) on each of my lenses so that I can feel comfortable to clean them without taking too much care to clean them properly. They don't seem to cause any noticeable differences in the images.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Have a UV filter permanently screwed to the front of my DP2's ever-present hood. Protects the lens and the sensor from direct light - as I often shoot straight into the sun. Originally I had some no name - Kenko I think - riding shotgun, but this degraded my images. I have learned that you get what you pay for. Now I only use B+W!

Also use Sigma's AML-1 close-up filter....oh how crisp.

Next on the shopping list is a CPL - circular polariser - and ND - neutral density. A must on my dSLR, just a matter of plucking up the funds for B+W's in 46mm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    No filters on anything.
    Never did like them, so won't use em' at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I don't think any fit on the LX5.:tongue:

I did use clear UV on my PEN lenses...for fear o' scratches.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks for the replies, which manufacturers are top of the bill filters?
    Is B+W #1 ?

7. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    It is highly regarded and not inexpensive.

I have used Hoya.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Well from my limited expereince, B+W is a clear No.1 with the Hoya HMC range in second. Of course, I'm sure a Cokin set is 'serious' in every sense of the word but strays from the 'compact' definition :wink: But the glass is supposedly superb!

• Like Like x 1
  9. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    You can get an adapter to take filters. I have one with a UV filter, mainly for using in the rain, with a zip lock bag I can make the camera pretty much weatherproof. Now I've got the adapter, I might have a play with a polarizer.
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/optional_accessories.html

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Cool, I love polarizing filters! Thank you P.H.!

You know, after I posted that, I did remember someone mentioning an adapter. The one thing I really do want to get is one of those nice self opening lens covers... I just haven't gotten around to it.

Hmm, now another two items to consider.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I have a few but never have them with me and thus never use them. But when I have I agree with others that you get what you pay for.

That said polarizers can really help in some circumstances and neutral density can help in others. I don't have any yellow, orange, red, etc filters.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I have B&W UV filters on all my lenses, strictly for protection. I would much rather clean a filter than clean a lens.

In my pre-digital days, I used a polarizing filter quite a bit, mostly to intensify colors and darken skies. I also used yellow and red filters when shooting B&W film to darken skies and highlight clouds. I don't use any of these anymore, although I am considering buying a polarizer again.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  13. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    I use UV or skylight protection filters, I've got a draw full of them. Sometimes an 81B to warm things up slightly. For the protection filters I've used expensive ones and cheap ones and haven't noticed the slightest difference in lens performance or image quality. I did some serious testing on an expensive Hoya versus a cheap Kood, and try as I might I couldn't detect anything that indicated why the Hoya was 5 times the price. Consequently I don't buy Hoya filters anymore. A complete waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    And I thought that B&W's were the expensive ones.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Some of the Hoyas cost as much as some of the B+Ws. I use Hoya Digital Pro1 clear filters and B+W UV filters - both were about $40/filter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Interesting...back in my PEN days, I definitely recall a B&W costing more... I think it was for the 20mm, but it doesn't really matter.

I remember many an argument over filters, and we definitely don't want to go in that direction.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I use a b+w clear filter when in rough conditions. Generally I don't use one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Jason,
    You da man!

• Like Like x 1
  19. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Another vote for B+W U/V filters on my long lenses, cheapo on my 17mm, nothing on the 7-14 (no thread) or 45mm. have a CPL rarely used and have ordered a variable ND mainly for video.

• Like Like x 1
  20. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I use B+W UV/IR Cut filters on my M8. Usually use UV filters on my GF1.

• Like Like x 1