Fuji Do you think I could live with an X100 ??

I'm fairly sure that you know that the X100 isn't really suited to what you want, but then we are all prone to the "kid in a candy shop" mentality from time to time. Understandable when you consider how many great cameras are out there to choose from.

I am curious though: you've oft-praised the Panasonic GX1 for handling, AF, etc but lamented the sensor size. So where did the X10 come into the equation?

OK, GF1 with 20/1.7,that's something I can clearly picture, as I've had both :)
Hmm, Ray, I don't mean to offend about Street, I guess it's just like all things that one is not particularly fond of, and that gets wildly popular, to the point of being in your face anywhere you look. One goes from mild indifference to borderline annoyance, lol.
I'm SO glad I started this thread, we're having a great live brain storming here, and I'm very grateful for everybody who's contributed their ideas. Indeed, you guys have me questioning my X-E1 impulse. That's a pretty big chunk of money right there, that I'd rather put aside till I get a clearer picture (no pun intended) of what I truly want.
Kevin, the GX-1 idea sure sounds enticing, let me mule over it.
Hopefully I will have news of my (well, mine if it ever gets here) X10 tomorrow, by then it should have shipped, no matter what.

You know something to consider is the GX1 and Sigma 30. That would give you a portrait FL on m43 and mine focuses very quickly on my G2. O can imagine on the GX1 it would plenty quick. Its not as fast as the P20 or PL25 but it's also suuuuper cheap and the IQ is pretty good. Also, your Pen 38 ends up almost identical FL of one of the fast 50's when on m43. Just a thought.

I think the X100 is a great all round camera, but reading between the lines above, you really are after 50mm equivalent. The X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens is a pretty good combo, but the 35mm lens on an X-body is really good (even if the AF on that lens is at times a little slow).

I know you don't like street, but the following image was taken with an X-body and 35mm lens.

7145304109_152a3f051c_z.jpg

Leaving his car by Robert Wisbey, on Flickr

I have a bunch of M43 gear I'm not using and could lend to you if you really want to use the GX1/PL25 for a reasonable period of time. If you wanted to test the X100 or X-E1 for a few days I could probably part with them (but for far less longer than my M43 gear) !

Hmm, Ray, I don't mean to offend about Street, I guess it's just like all things that one is not particularly fond of, and that gets wildly popular, to the point of being in your face anywhere you look. One goes from mild indifference to borderline annoyance, lol.

No offense taken. I just realized that must have been someone else crawling around in your head. :D

I get it - I'm the same way with photos of flowers and butterflies and birds in flight. I appreciate the technical skill involved, but it just doesn't appeal to me. So, no worries.

-Ray

The only cameras I've ever liked as much as the D700 are the X100 and X Pro. I would definitely wait until the new version comes out. I just got notified by Adorama that I should get my X100S in early March. That said the lens I used most on my D700 is the 35mm F1.4G. I like the focal length. If you are a 50mm person, 35 isn't that difficult to work with. It's an amazing camera. If you are use to using a FF sensor it's probably as close as you will get to it on image quality. I'm not selling my original X100 even though I'm getting the new one. I'm keeping it to use the 28mm adapter on.

One thing I have noticed is that most of the people who seem to like the Fuji cameras a lot have used or are currently using FF cameras. Just my two cents. Have to agree with Bob above. The Fuji 35 is a really underpriced lens. It's the second best lens I own next the 35mm Nikon which cost over twice as much. The Fuji 60 is probably better than my Nikon 105mm F2.8.

The X100 is one of those cameras that makes you think differently about photography.

You need to move to Texas. No state income tax! Warm climate 90% of the year. Too hot and humid in the Summer time though.

XE1 may be your dream combo, but if AF speed and accuracy is important to you, you may want to try it out first before buying. It's improved over the original XPro1 firmware, specially combining the body with the 18-55 zoom lens at 18mm. But it's still slower and less reliable than the NEX7. And definitely no match for the GX1 and OMD's of the world. That's the main reasons I never warmed up to the XE1, even though I had high hopes after being an early adopter of the XPro1.

From where? I moved back here from Boston (only because of family health problems), I would go back tomorrow if I could. :)

nianys, the funny thing here is that if you just described your needs the E-M5 really seems like a solid choice. I know that is not an option, but you seem to be looking for that camera with a different UI and not made by Olympus. You sacrifice a tiny bit of blur-ability, but you keep focus-peaking (via a work around) for your vintage lenses and gain that AF speed you desire. The P25/1.4 is wonderful, as you know, and the O45/1.8 would love your little one.

I'm not really trying to talk you into it as much as I am just talking. I know you won't change your mind on it. :rolleyes:

The X10 is a great gap-filler at the very least. I expect we'll see some nice B&W portraits from you and it.

I think the X100 is a great all round camera, but reading between the lines above, you really are after 50mm equivalent. The X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens is a pretty good combo, but the 35mm lens on an X-body is really good (even if the AF on that lens is at times a little slow).

I know you don't like street, but the following image was taken with an X-body and 35mm lens.

7145304109_152a3f051c_z.jpg

Leaving his car by Robert Wisbey, on Flickr

I have a bunch of M43 gear I'm not using and could lend to you if you really want to use the GX1/PL25 for a reasonable period of time. If you wanted to test the X100 or X-E1 for a few days I could probably part with them (but for far less longer than my M43 gear) !

Oh Robert that would be fantastic ! I had a similar offer once from a gentleman to lend me his (then brand new and very pricey) Nikon D2H. Except he lived in... Georgia (US, not former Soviet Union). Believe it or not despite (hypocrite) contestation on my part he shipped me his camera around for me to try for about two weeks. Of course I sent it back unharmed, with a full CD of Paris photo -I was born and raised in Paris and know the place a little bit- and a couple of goodies), but I thought the trust and companionship was pretty insanely kind and cool... Anyway I see you live in Nantes, not exactly next door (but certainly a good deal closer than Georgia, lol). So if you're serious about your offer we could switch to PM for details. And if you visit Paris sometimes just spending an hour with the Fuji above a Café Crème could be as much as I need to form an opinion.
BTW the street shot above is illustrating the best subject isolation capabilities of the 35/1.4 perfectly, thanks for that :)

Demiro, and to answer Nic's question, you got that perfectly right : the X10 is intended as a gap filler, something qualitative enough that I can survive with in and without a more "serious" camera from time to time. And From Dixeyk's input I may almost expect that it might turn out to be much better than I ever imagined it could...
Regarding the E-M5 two things happened. I wanted one as badly as anyone else when it came out, but I held one in a store and disliked the experience at once. Then, trying to get a feel of the Oly experience (the menus and UI are pretty well reputed for their, mmm, uniqueness) I bought two cheap Oly bodies. That's when shit hit the fan, so to speak, as I absolutely hated everything about them (except the looks of the E-PL2? which is a rather sexy camera to hold). I know it wasn't quite fair to compare with the GX-1 which was either one generation or one step up in the line-up compared to what I tried (E-PL2, E-PM1) but Panny's UI is absolutely fabulously suited to how my brain works, and with IQ to boot. I found both Oly's not only a total PITA to shoot, but inferior in IQ in every single area. And yes, I know the E-M5 is above the Panny for IQ and so are the are the new Olys, but I think I've just be traumatized for good. And digging in older captures from a while ago the other day, I had the opportunity to witness all three formats as I use them, FF, APS-C and m4/3. To my (huge) surprise, it appears to me that APS-C is a sweet spot that I'm really comfortable with.

Hey, sometimes a clear negative reaction is just as valuable as a positive one. Narrowing down the gear you are interested in seems like a good thing to me.

Regarding the X10, I bet it will surprise you. Really fun to use and output that doesn't seem like it belongs in a small-sensor P&S.

Hey, sometimes a clear negative reaction is just as valuable as a positive one. Narrowing down the gear you are interested in seems like a good thing to me.

Regarding the X10, I bet it will surprise you. Really fun to use and output that doesn't seem like it belongs in a small-sensor P&S.

I agree that at least you know what you don't want so that's a plus...and also that the X10 punches above its weight class.

Well with a little delay the X10 is now confirmed on its way, should be here Friday around noon. Incidentally, an good friend of mine, and long time Fuji user offered to send his X100 for me to try in trade for a small favor he needs (that I would have been happy give without that !), AND Bob here generously offered to lend me his GX1/PL25 combo if needed !! Needless to say I'm happy :)
From the five new companies getting involved with m4/3, Kodak, Polaroid, it looks like it' becoming the strong digital format of the future. From in depth investigation of my files captured over the past 5 or 6 years, APS-C seems to be the sweet spot for me.

The GX1, PL25, PL45, Ppowerzoom, and VF combo is on its way (sorry for delay -- been busy with work and unable to get to the local post office).

I hope you have fun with it, and it help you decides what you are after :D

Bob you are helpful beyond words !!! It should absolutely be instrumental in deciding what system I want to go with ultimately :)

It's really a tough call I guess. What I'm about to say is based on limited personal experience.
Sony NEX system : although the ideas are good (and there's focus peaking), I never got on with the ergonomics, and think the bodies are a bit small for the lenses (both native and legacy).

M43 system : pretty evolved now and the bodies will only get even better than they are now. Great native lens selection, but bodies are probably a bit small for legacy lens use.

Fuji X-interchangeable : without sounding like a fan boy, ergonomics are great, native lenses are pretty good, and body sizes are good with legacy lenses (X-E1 a tad too small, but probably ok with the additional hand grip). Everything feels good, but the AF can be frustrating when it misses (takes time to get used to). IQ is great, but native lenses are not yet fully developed for the system. Great colors too !

In summary, I went from DSLR to M43, loved mirrorless, but wanted slightly better IQ, so now with Fujifilm. I think Fujifilm are hitting the right spots in most places, and that's why my M43 gear is currently gathering dust. But I can't bear to part with those M43 system lenses as there will surely be a good few surprises around the corner !

It's really a tough call I guess. What I'm about to say is based on limited personal experience.
Sony NEX system : although the ideas are good (and there's focus peaking), I never got on with the ergonomics, and think the bodies are a bit small for the lenses (both native and legacy).

M43 system : pretty evolved now and the bodies will only get even better than they are now. Great native lens selection, but bodies are probably a bit small for legacy lens use.

Fuji X-interchangeable : without sounding like a fan boy, ergonomics are great, native lenses are pretty good, and body sizes are good with legacy lenses (X-E1 a tad too small, but probably ok with the additional hand grip). Everything feels good, but the AF can be frustrating when it misses (takes time to get used to). IQ is great, but native lenses are not yet fully developed for the system. Great colors too !

In summary, I went from DSLR to M43, loved mirrorless, but wanted slightly better IQ, so now with Fujifilm. I think Fujifilm are hitting the right spots in most places, and that's why my M43 gear is currently gathering dust. But I can't bear to part with those M43 system lenses as there will surely be a good few surprises around the corner !

Well Bob, 48 hours from now I'll be taking care of the "gathering dust" part ;)
I think your summary is pretty much the conclusion I might come with once I've tried all 3 systems. I'm giving it a go if I can arrange picking up the camera before the end of the week. It not, I'm going on ski vacation on saturday (taking ONLY the X10 with me), which will give me time to mull over it a bit further.

Thanks guys for all the great and useful input (feel free to keep it coming, too) I'll make sure to keep you posted on what I do.

Ah ah, cameras are literally raining on me starting tomorrow !! bobbywise's m4/3 gorgeous rig will be here by then, and my friend is packing his X100 to ship tomorrow, should be here on Friday ! When I'm back from ski vacation I'll ship it back to him and buy his X-E1. WHoo ooh, life is sweet :) It's wonderful to have generous hearted photog' friends !

Back