Do you travel to make photos or do you take photos while travelling ?

Combining the 2 is the ultimate and unless its a very short trip with a packed itinerary I will bring my gear. The longer the trip, the more open the itinerary and the fewer people....the easier it is to get photography time in. On my most recent trip I went up to the high alpine country here in Victoria, Australia for 2 weeks...I was with a larger group of friends and although I snapped away casually on most days, I did take 3 separate full days out just to shoot...and I did that SOLO much to my friends confusion. The guys LOVE going through my photos after a trip when I've had them all processed and sorted and always ask to join me on my walks...but I just can't shoot with an entourage in tow. It works out well though as I tend to balance photographic 'me' time with group holiday time.

I will take the odd short day or weekend trip to places writhing a few hours of Melbourne for photography alone.

I love browsing through your trip photos! I still use your fathers-sons fishing trip photos as examples of good m4/3 photography!

I agree with most being said here, I do travel with my girlfriend mostly so I can't still stand too long to take photos, but she knows who I am and she walks a bit further and waits when I'm slacking a bit behind , busy taking photos. But I agree that if you purely wanna take photos it's best to travel alone, I did some local events where I went alone as my girlfriend knew it was mainly for taking photos.

However I feel that because of photography i have the urge to travel and discover more "things", not as a "trophy hunter" of course. I really enjoy the trips in the first place of course, but I combine it with photography. Like i said in my original post, I feel photography has made me a "richer" person in that aspect (but more poor in the money department, grrrr GAS) :))))

It also lets expands my social life because when i've taken photos at a live gig for exampleI often have contact with the bandmembers and mail them the photos, something I would have never do with photography.
And nothing is more rewarding then getting praise from people at cosplay (dress up) conventions for your photos. Many have become friends due to my photos.

I travel short distance (under 200 miles) for the purpose of taking pictures. However, no matter where I go I usually find that photography is an important part of what I do.

I do both. I travel a fair amount through work and always take my camera with me. I always take kit on hols - what bodies and lenses to take usually requires more thought than the clothes I pack...

I also travel specifically to photograph. I will do "day trips" to somewhere photogenic, or where something interesting is going on and every year I take part in the Leica "One Challenge" wot I started ten years ago. This has taken me to cities across Europe - Wetzlar itself this year - to take part in the contest with other like-minded photographers and their long-suffering partners.

Ah yes, partners... Over the years I have experienced all the extremes... "What's interesting about THAT?' to "Look! Look! Take a photo of that really cute rabbit NOW!!" and I consider myself very fortunate to have the ideal partner now. She has a camera of her own and a good eye. We bimble around each other, seeing and capturing different things. I do recognise it can be irritating to a non-photographer, by the way - I recall someone who once wrote a piece drawing parallels between going for a walk with a photographer and with a 2-year-old - both are prone to dawdle, head off randomly in odd directions and to become unaccountably fascinated by some bug on a leaf. As to company vs solo, I wrote my thoughts about that a little while ago... It's not a team sport, is it? - I don't think much has happened to change my mind since! ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

I view a camera as a travel aid. It helps me to really see my surroundings, it makes me curious and helps to get me out exploring. Further to that, and perhaps because of that, almost every image that I have hanging up in my apartment was taken while travelling away from home, and each one has the memories of that particular place, country or trip attached to it. So, I see travelling as an opportunity to do your best photography, not a reason to leave your camera/s at home because they might get in the way. I am fully aware that I might only see each place I travel to just once in my life.

Back