Sony Does NEX FF make anyone question the price of the current crop mirrorless?

Yep, I agree the pricing is fairly moderate/competitive when you compare against the DSLR competition and even Sony's own RX1. Probably a smart move on Sony's part to speed early adoption, as you said.

I wonder if they are making a lot of profit on the bodies at those prices, or if they're counting on lens profits to make up the slack? I could see them practically giving the body away knowing they can make it up in accessories and lenses that are pretty much only available from Sony and Zeiss.

I notice they aren't even including a battery charger with the A7/A7R - just like with the RX1. You have to buy a separate charger if you want faster or external charging. Add in stuff like the $300 battery grip, and it's easy for me to imagine them planning to get their cut elsewhere...

Remember, Sony had good pricing on the first NEX and the RX100. With the first NEX, they had great lens bundle pricing. Nex 5 + 18-55 + 16. A couple hundred off each lens. With the RX100 you could get a free 3 year warranty that even covered accidents. I think in both cases, they might have only been run through the Sony Store. I know that was the case with the RX100 special, at any rate.

Sony has clearly shown they're willing to buy market share, and they know they need to establish a user base.

I think Sony need to price aggressively. The lens line-up as it stands today (not 2 months from now or 12 months from now or with a slew of adapters) is at the least incomplete. There's a lot of buzz right now because it's new. But outside of enthusiasts, most Joe or Jane camera buyers (with a budget of $2k or more) will just go the store (or Amazon.....worse yet) and try to compare whatever Nikon and Canon cameras are in their budget.

I hope the Sony sells a ton, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure I agree. Sony will have the channel coverage that Oly and Panny and even Fuji lack. They'll be everywhere. It's full frame, which the sales reps will know to mention. It has a kit lens, which is the most of what people use. It's still expensive, though, compared to e.g. Nikon D5300. But for someone with a bit more money, who's thinking D600 or 6D, this is a big competitor. For folks who don't want the size of a DSLR, they no longer have to go online to look at edge-case brands like Oly, Panny or Fuji. The Sony is right there. Plus, Sony will have a lot of shelf space slots, with pocket cams, NEX, DSLRs and then the 7.

For enthusiasts, you can mount any lens, and for niche stuff like legacy glass. Well, people already use NEX for that. This is a step up.

I could be completely wrong, and I don't think I'll be getting one, but I think it's a good play, and it'll be interesting to see how it's doing by say next summer.

When i go to my local Best Buy or my local camera store (yep, we still have a few here), there are Canon and Nikon DSLRs and there are an a$$load of garbage point and shoots. And once in awhile there may be a low end NEX or a stray Oly or Pansonic. I'll admit to not knowing how (or where) these things sell, but brand cache belongs to Canikon....by a million miles. And that isn't overturned overnight.

There is not even a nex-6 in Best Buy store next to us, and also no m43 anymore... They have only lowest model Sony/Samsung like the Walmart next door... They don't even carry the high end Canikon dslrs anymore, eg they used to have Canon 5d's...

I can see why Sony went to dslr shape as the rf shape wasn't popular in US where dslr's rule! Even Oly did that w/ OMD...

Also there are lots of Canon shooters waiting for a high MP/dynamic range camera and the body is not that expensive to add esp when their high end lenses like TSE lenses can be used... Even canonrumors owner bought one:) I saw a few Nikon 800E shooters even looking due to its smaller size.

When I am out and about the camera type that I see most of is the low-end DSLR with kit lens. Walk into Costco and that's what you see most often too. Mirrorless, at least in the US, is a niche, and it is expensive. Currently, it is either for the enthusiasts or upgraded. The mirrorless camera that I see most often are the NEXs, followed, perhaps, by Olympus. At my office we have Ricoh, Olympus and Fuji.

Point is, the E-M1 and new A7s are geared toward a small market who either knows what they want or who simply buys the newest thing. But in truth I think Sony wants to be the new big dog. And some of us have more than one camera.

I don't see high end gear anywhere here including the few visits to Costco. I guess being close to NY killed the camera stores in DC area, though a few survive, not close to me... I can order anything from NY stores w/ free shipping and have it in my hands next day...

Next week there is PhotoPlus Expo in NY with all these new cameras...

So the fact that it's the size of a cinder block and looks like (as someone else said) a Clown Camera didn't put you off ?

So the fact that it's the size of a cinder block and looks like (as someone else said) a Clown Camera didn't put you off ?

I actually prefer a larger camera. I think it's lack of a meter was what ultimately did me in. If it had a meter and some sort of aperture priority mode, I might actually get one. But as much as I appreciate the arcania (I think I just made up that word) of using light meters and such, I'm a pretty modern dude when it comes to cameras.

I must say those new Sonys (Sonies?) will make it incredibly hard for me to pay more than $1000 for a crop-sensor camera. If I'm willing to shell out this kind of money, I may as well buy a full-frame camera and get all the benefits of a larger sensor. The price of the lenses obviously is a major put-off compared to FF DSLRs, but I still think that there is definitely Sony A7 + 35/2.8 in my future.

Bigger question is whether or not the mirrorless community will accept mirrorless full frames.
Previously, most Full Frame comments have been along the lines of "Ha, ha, look at that photographer with the big, heavy, DSLR"....

For myself and some others I have chatted with (can't speak for everyone) it's about the tradeoff. What are you willing to carry, compared to what you get. Though, sometimes, absolute size is an issue.

Bigger question is whether or not the mirrorless community will accept mirrorless full frames.
Previously, most Full Frame comments have been along the lines of "Ha, ha, look at that photographer with the big, heavy, DSLR"....

Well, Sony A7 + 35/2.8 is significantly smaller and lighter than any FF DSLR with a 35mm lens.

Back