Don't you hate it when...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by wt21, Sep 6, 2013.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    You go out and do a purposeful hour long shoot, only to realize at the end that you've done the whole thing on ISO3200 by accident.

Argh.

2. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    haha. not for an hour but it happened when I forget to turn the autoISO mode off. What happens more often is that the exposure comp dial has switched accidentally. I feel sorry for you. arghh

3. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Yep. I once took a few really nice shots (IMHO) of the shadow of a couple walking hand-in-hand on the beach. It was just before sunset and their shadow was projected onto a wooden fence. Then I looked at the pics and saw ISO 1600, which on my Pentax K100D was a bit on the noisy side.

But what's worse is when you think you have a nice set of photos, only to see that the ISO was too low and the resultant slow shutter speeds caused the photos to be blurry. Far worse than too-high ISO, IMO.

4. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    You need to know when to come down off a high :whoo:

Barrie

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    it's a darn good thing that you're a camera junkie and have cameras where ISO3200 is usable. Just think if you done that 5 years ago

6. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I did think of that. I went outside with an ND8 and CPL attached with the intention to shoot wide open. So, I never saw a low shutter speed, though 1/640 in broad day light should have clued me in. At least they are well exposed, which helps supress the noise a bit.

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I've done this a few times before (not usually with ISOs this high; maybe around 800) but I've twigged fairly early that the shutter speeds don't look right and I'm also a frequent chimper (including zooming in) so I'll spot any extra noise fairly quickly.

Five years ago my Canon 350D didn't even have ISO3200!

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Now that I sold the LX7, I'm pretty much down to just having cameras where 3200 isn't a problem at all - particularly in good light where its not creating much noise anyway. 12,800 would be another story, but I've never come close to having this happen. I had this happen at 1600 once back in my EP2 days, and 1600 on an EP2 was fairly ugly - much worse than 3200 on anything I'm shooting with today...

-Ray

9. monk3y

monk3y SC Regular

Aug 12, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    It happens to everybody I guess, it's just a matter of how long you notice it.

Although it's better than going somewhere to shoot and finding out you did not have a single memory card with you. :mad:

10. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I guess in the old days, it was shooting just to realize you never loaded the film.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    In the really old days you'd realize it pretty quick because of the lack of resistance on the film advance lever. Then I guess motors came in and took that tactile clue away.

-Ray

12. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Not done this, but have shot a whole 36 exposures of my other half saddling up and trying a new horse, oh the joy on her face, only to find the lens cap still firmly in place. Neither of us forgave Leica for that :hissy:

13. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    One of the reasons I loathe rangefinder cameras.

14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You're pretty lucky she blamed Leica.

15. lcsolla

lcsolla SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Luis Castro e Solla
    I already posted this picture before. It was taken by a Panasonic GX1, set at ISO 12800 by accident. Even though largely out of the GX1's confort zone, I like this self-portrait... noise/grain can be interesting.

_1000184_sc.

16. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    That brings back memories. When my wife and I were on our engagement trip many years ago, and someone took some photos of us during our engagement dinner, the film turned out to be not loaded properly. I can still remember that! I would have preferred ISO3200 shots (and the one with the warming filter you posted looks good!)

17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    A few years ago I took a camera on a short day trip and found the battery warning blinking when I took the camera out for the first time and only got about five shots before it died :blush:. It was during my buy-on-eBay, try, sell-on-eBay camera testing phase so no spare battery.

18. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I think the max ISO on my Oly E510 is 1600!

19. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Or, you had loaded the film incorrectly. Usually, you would realize around frame 40 or so, when you started wondering why that particular roll was so long...

20. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Yes!!! I can't tell what film is inside the M7! So it's anybody's guess right now!