Downham

Dewi Sant

Veteran
Name
Guess?
Took missus Dewi out for a birthday lunch yesterday and we ended up here, at a little Lancashire village called Downham near to Clitheroe - about 40 mins drive from here. There's a traditional old pub there which does excellent food and it's nice that the the village and surrounding countryside are perfect to go walk off the mid-day feast. In summer when all the flowers are out around the cottages and houses and the trees are all nice and leafy, it's a lovley sight. Unfortunately, they've had their fair share of flooding there after the small brook overflowed in the recent storms so the clean up operation is still ongong, there are sandbags everywhere. I'll go back in summer and take some more photos.

P3120086_zpsea442364.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P3120093_zpsee46a0e3.jpg

P3120101_zps012ec1d7.jpg

Took missus Dewi out for a birthday lunch yesterday and we ended up here, at a little Lancashire village called Downham near to Clitheroe - about 40 mins drive from here. /QUOTE]

Happy Birthday wishes for missus Dewi. Hopefully you had a great day together. But looking at your photos that must have been the case!

Dewi, we used to live in Grindleton, the next village - when I moved to Preston to work it was horror horror horror as I thought that we would have to live in Lancashire, (yes, you guessed I'm a Yorkshireman). We found a house in Grindleton, (Jubilee Cottage, if you are up that way). Grindleton is (now) in Lancashire. I went into the local pub and spoke to a couple of (old) locals who were having a pint. I said it's nice here but it's in Lancashire, (when it used to be in Yorkshire), they said don't worry lad, (I was a 40 year old lad at the time), it's still in Yorkshire (although it's now in Lancashire) - complicated I know - we bought the house.

If you lot in "The Colonies" don't understand it, don't ask me to explain it

I know exactly what you mean. Bill. We're just outside Wigan here and will forever be in Lancashire despite them telling us our post code is now a soulless Greater Manchester. Nobody in Wigan will ever give their address as anything other than Lancashire. I'm a native Liverpool lad, we used to be in Lancashire there too until someone thought it would be a great idea to change us to Merseyside. For years afterwards we were still in Lancashire as far the locals were concerned but I think they've gradually come to terms with not being so any more

Wiganers are a little more reslient, they'll never be anything else other than Lancastrians.

Grindleton eh, you were a local lad then? I do a lot of my motorbike riding up that way, usually ending up at either at Ribblehead / Wharfedale or The Trough of Bowland. nice area

Pictures of my old Honda VFR750 at Sawley, another local place you'll know of.

VFRatSawleyonwaytoClitheroe5_zpse11db4d3.jpg

VFRatSawleyonwaytoClitheroe4_zps0d758c79.jpg

VFRatSawleyonwaytoClitheroe2_zps448835a1.jpg

I (did) know that area quite well - it is a very beautiful part of England

"When you can't see Pendle Hill it's raining"

"When you can see Pendle Hill it's going to rain"

Sinus valley - I got sinus problems after a hard game of squash in Preston in 1979 and I still have problems

I'm local to South Yorkshire, not the pretty parts!!!!

Nice Bike the VFR750 before the 800 - I always had BM's

Planners - why? - changing the boundary between bancashire and Yorkshire is like changing the Boundary between England and Scotland - nutter's, (if you excuse a self pun!)

Back