1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DP2 Questions

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Herman, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hi guys, hello ladies.
    I got a DP2, autumn brings fields of colors to us, so I thought I got to go outside one of these days for a DP shooting.
    A few questions:
    Q1 Which mode is best for shooting?
    Q2 ISO setting
    Q3 How to update firmware
    Q4 Focus setting
    Q5 Tips from you, any, let me (us) know

I do look forward hearing from you, thanks.

2. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    I went quickly through set up and saw that current firmware version is 1.04.
    No firmware update file on memory card.

3. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    It takes 3 pictures each time I press shutter release, how to set to take just 1 pic? (auto bracketing may be on)
    Current settings: Vivid, P-mode, wide (16:9), fine.

Keep de discussion going, thanks.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I wish I had one Herman...I'd help you out.

I will own one day....it's only a matter of time. Someone should chime in soon to help out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Luke. Battery empty. Spare battery charging. It takes 3 pictures which is great for HDR shooting. Now I wonder if Picasa supports HDR? Hope it does.

6. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Seems that (acc DPR) QS2 may help me further. Battery still charging which takes about 2 hours.

7. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Waiting for advice...

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Herman the camera is set to bracket shots (you can use this for HDR or just for "safety") but I can't remember for the life of me how to change it even though I just looked at my own DP2s.

There's a manual available (in English) here ... http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/pdfs/DP2_manual.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    I can give you more specific advice later, when I have more time. In the meantime, I can give you an excellent document compiled by a DPReview member Solsang:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjvj8xezxxmobxl/Adviceforsigmadp1dp2users.pdf

Have fun, Herman. It's a difficult camera and you should try RAW for the best results. The photos are worth it once you master it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    assuming you have an original DP2, not a DP2m:

Q1 I prefer A (aperture priority), a lot of the time with a bit of negative exposure compensation, evaluative metering
    Q2 ISO 100 or 200 for best results
    Q3 I've got 1.04. Is there a newer one?
    Q4 I've set the AEL button to Focus Lock only and focus on any good edges at the depth where I want focus to be
    Q5 shoot RAW :) Standard Color Mode, I'm not using AutoWB, on a sunny day I set it to sun, the rest of the time to cloudy (outdoors that is - indoors you want to set it to tungsten/etc of course)

To switch bracketing off click the "OK" button and then the "arrow up" (of the two arrows at the top right) until the green +- at the left of the screen says +-0

And it's not a difficult camera as such in my opinion, it just needs a bit of patience to use :wink:

cheers,
    Tilman

• Like Like x 3
  11. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hey gys, THANKS! I managed to change auto bracketing feature into 1 shot, thanks to all of you.
    I like very much built quality of the DP2.
    I'm not quite familiar with this camera, it takes time, but I will master.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    That's good to hear, Herman. As for your questions on the original post, my answers are very similar to Tilman's. However, I use evaluative metering with +0.3 or +0.7 exposure compensation (but only do this if shooting RAW - the highlights can be recovered in almost all cases).

As for Q5 - My tip is to use to appreciate its simple nature. The reason I called it a "difficult" camera is because many of us have certain expectations for a camera. It's actually one of the simplest to operate. I love a large DOF. When everything is in focus, I am more careful of where I "place objects" with respect to my subject. Much of my DP1 work is done at f/5.6 at ISO 100, with focus set in between the "5" and "2" meter marks on the focus wheel (I don't know what that distance is; it certainly isn't 3.5 meters!). At these settings: The image is noiseless, most of the scene is in focus, and the lens is nearly at its sharpest. The only work I have to do is to compose. I pay attention to the shutter speed, so that I know when to set the camera down for long exposure or when to keep it hand-held.

• Like Like x 4
  13. smoothstones

smoothstones New to SC

Mar 3, 2013
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering as to the viability of a DP2 today; I have chance to pick one up and am curious if you're using one and what you think.

Regards,

Bruce

14. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's still a great camera. I have a DP2s and in low ISO static shot situations I often feel it outperforms my Nikon D5100 DSLR.