DP2M clouds

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Chris2500dk, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
  2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    That's a very nice shot. Every time I think about selling my DP2s I end up taking a photo that highlights the cool capabilities of the Foveon sensor and I just hang onto it.
  3. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just looked through some SD Merrill threads on Flickr. Someone tell me I am just imagining that there is something special about many of those photos. I have never marked so many favorites on any other threads. There is a depth that I have to say does not seem rational since all photos are just two dimensional, but there is a special feeling of depth with many that I saw. Do others of you think this or am I just seeing what I want/expect to see?
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    That's the Foveon magic at work. It's not as night-and-day as comparing a 2D movie to a 3D movie but there are significant advantages to the fact that the Foveon sensor doesn't use Bayer pattern interpolation to "guess" at image data that wasn't recorded.

I just wish Adobe did a better job handling Foveon RAW data in ACR so that I don't have to use Sigma Photo Pro 5 every time I need to edit an image from my DP2s. SPP isn't horrible by any means ... I'm just used to the ACR interface and I prefer to use that. Unfortunately, ACR just doesn't do as good as SPP when it comes to producing a final image that retains the "Foveon magic."
    • Like Like x 1