1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DP2Q price going down

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Chris2500dk, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
  2. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
  3. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm still reserving final judgement until SPP6.1 is out. It looks like the jpegs are fantastic from it, but if the raw file processing isn't going to improve significantly then I'll skip it for sure.

4. shelton

shelton New to SC

Sep 28, 2014
    Kevin Raber seems to have provided an excellent review of the camera for what he was looking in a camera. Obviously these cameras do not suit him or his shooting style. It seems he is looking for a camera that shoots fast, shoots in dark places, and shoots in extreme conditions (Artic Circle) which this camera does not do or maybe better put, is not made to do.

Cheers
    Shelton

5. grillec

grillec SC Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    I just saw an offer at B&H at a price of $499. Only for a short time or a trend? The DP2Q is the version I'm least interested in.

6. Arup Roy Chowdhury

Arup Roy Chowdhury SC Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    The reviews are grossly unjust and have no bearing on DP2Q or its image quality and resolution.

7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not that I doubted you, but I still wanted to see this. $499 at B&H. That's quite a drop in $$.

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    From what I've seen of image samples, I'd rather spend an extra $50 and import the old DP2Merrill from Japan. I see the Quattro more as step sideways than a step forward.

9. grillec

grillec SC Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    Now it's $599 up and equals the price for the DP2M. I've had looked there because of another forum's posting and it was right.
    At the moment I own and prefer the 3 Merrills, too. But if the new lense construction of a DP2Q is better or a DP3Q would be snappier, I could be hooked. But never for the price on release day anymore.

10. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    In the same boat as Luke. The form factor/size of the Merrill is more to my liking, and the image quality "improvements" don't seem to be that big (if any).

Was hoping this would bring the price down for the Merrills too.
    Both, Merrill and Quattro are $599 at B&H from what I can see.

I'll probably just pick up my old DP's once I get home...

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Why do you think that?

12. Arup Roy Chowdhury

Jul 24, 2013
    The Foveon has always been about IQ like a medium format and never ever been about speed. Its internal processing power is old and therefore can't handle all the data from the Foveon but the end result is always well worth the wait. Also higher ISO has remained the bane of Foveon.

13. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    As a former DP2 owner myself,
    I always wondered when Sigma would bolt on a 2.0 or faster lens on a DP* series body....

14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Do you shoot jpegs or use the the software that comes with it?

15. Arup Roy Chowdhury

Jul 24, 2013
    I use latest SPP 6.1 to process X3F files.

16. Lainer

Lainer SC Rookie

Dec 8, 2014
    Arizona
    Well, I just picked up a DP3M Merrill from B&H Photo for $540. That's a pretty big price drop. I actually had the DP1M in the cart too, but chickened out. That was $599 and now it went back up in price. bummer.