1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DPR Nikon Coolpix A review

Discussion in 'Nikon Coolpix A Forum' started by serhan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Nikon Coolpix A comparative review: Digital Photography Review

Silver Award:

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Well Ray, it seems you'd make a fine professional camera reviewer. From what they say about the Ricoh, they basically feel the same way you do. And your example shots are arguably a lot more interesting :wink:

I think I'd go for the Ricoh any day - but from what I've seen, the Nikon A does have VERY nice jpegs, which has recently become an important criterium to me...

3. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo SC Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Polo
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Well, thanks, but I think I'd suck at it if I had to do all of that technical analysis. And it's pretty clear they really prefer the Ricoh. I don't. I go back and forth but keep coming back to the Nikon as a more comfortable option for me. Not sure if the difference is worth $300 but I would have trouble saying the Ricoh is better in most ways, which I think they said.

To me, I think the only objective measures by which the Ricoh is better are faster AF in good light and sharper extreme corners wide open, neither of which matter much to me. Subjectively, I prefer the way the Ricoh feels in my hand and the ability to switch between AF and zone/snap focus instantly. But I prefer the Nikon's less cluttered and complex interface, the focus ring, and the way the raw colors arrive in Lightroom - the colors give me a better starting point to begin processing from. I also prefer the way the exposure comp control works on the Nikon and that's easily my most used control. (Although I honestly prefer the way Fuji, Sony (on the RX1) and Olympus do exposure comp to either of these.) And I prefer the Nikon's auto-ISO implementation, where the minimum shutter speed can be set as high as 1/1000 - the Ricoh is limited to 1/250. This auto-ISO difference actually matters to me in use quite a bit for street shooting in good light. On the Ricoh I sometimes trip over the complexity of the possibilities, even when I have it set up pretty simply - that just doesn't happen with the Nikon.

So, I think I'm coming down in a different place than any of the other reviewers / experts I've been reading and conversing with on these two cameras. I'm not sure that makes me a good reviewer or just a somewhat independent one.

-Ray

5. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo SC Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Polo
    Well, I enjoyed reading your comparison a lot, Ray. And you spent more time talking about operation and difference in user interface than the dpr as well as some tips and tricks, which are overlooked in other reviews. Sorry you have to take some beating from the more fanatic side of the Ricoh crowd. But look the dpr is now taking some beating from the other side too. It is certainly a tough job doing reviews/comparison.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Glad you liked it. Whether it was useful to anyone else or not, I got more out of the Ricoh after working through some of the color issues and getting a lot of help/advice from some of the folks over there, and here too. And most of the folks on the Ricoh forum on DPR were ok to me - just a couple that really got on my nerves. Not worth worrying about.

-Ray