Sony DPReview's RX100 review

It's a very good review. Everything looks good but the handling clearly didn't endear itself to DPR. Awesome IQ, especially at high iso. I'm surprised it's just a silver award, given the results it could produce.

I guess it depends on what they cosinder the "class" that its in.

In the image IQ comparisons section, they put it up against the canon s100 and fuji x10. These are two different cameras. For me, I want to compare it to the s100 because of form factor, in which case I think its gold. It might only be silver to the x10 because of controls, but then I can't put the x10 in my pants pocket easily, which is a cake walk with the rx100.

Definetely seems like a good camera. I'm not sure it's worth the price to me, and I'm quite sure it can't replace my Sigma DP2s in good light.

The people in DPR's Sony forum sure does come across as a bunch of Apple fanboys though :tongue:

wt21 said:
I guess it depends on what they cosinder the "class" that its in.

In the image IQ compares, they put it up against the canon s100 and fuji x10. These are two different cameras. T me, I want to compare it to the s100, in which case I think its gold. It might only be solver to the x10, but then I cant put the x10 in my pants pocket easily, which is a cake walk with the rx100.

I think they keep raising the bar as well. The Oly XZ-1, arguably a member of the same group, received a Gold Award on a score of 74 in 2011.

the awards aren't necessarily a direct result of the rating it receives on that list of 10 or so criteria (I think the percentage is based on that). the awards also take into account other considerations, and if you see how much this camera has brought truly pocketable cameras forward, I think it's one of the most important cameras of the last decade, hence my surprise...

the awards aren't necessarily a direct result of the rating it receives on that list of 10 or so criteria (I think the percentage is based on that). the awards also take into account other considerations, and if you see how much this camera has brought truly pocketable cameras forward, I think it's one of the most important cameras of the last decade, hence my surprise...

I agree. A big sensor in a small body with great IQ. I wonder if it would have gotten the gold award if the mode dial had clicked :rolleyes: Of course, I can see the IQ but can't really try the handling for myself.

I think Silver is about right. Its outstanding in some areas (amazingly so) and really raises the bar in those areas for the whole "premium compact" class. But its far from a fully realized camera - their reaction to the handling is very much like mine - I can work with it but it feels like a competent tool, not like something where all the parts just work together seamlessly. I can get into a flow with some cameras and its like they're transparent - an extension of my mind. And some I never get there with. I havent' come close to getting there with the RX100 after almost a month - I got there with the LX7 within a couple of hours - too bad the sensor on the LX7 isn't playing in the same league. I'd expect a small camera with similar IQ but much better handling to show up within a year or so that will merit a gold. Look at m43 - I don't think there was a gold award for any m43 camera until the OMD just recently (I could be wrong, but I don't recall any). The GH2 and the EP3 both got silver and I thought those were about right too - they were both excellent cameras with some very strong features but also some drawbacks. The OMD, in the eyes of the reviewers, was the first m43 camera that put all of the pieces together into a seamless whole. Obviously there's room for disagreement on ANY of these calls - I've seen near wars break out over the OMD vs the GH2 and many would be very upset with the OMD scoring higher, but I think the reviewers were probably cognizant of the best features from the EP3 and the GH2 and the OMD has pretty much ALL of them in one camera without any of the primary drawbacks of either (I know, I know, some people HATE Oly's menus, but obviously the DPR folks didn't if they gave the EP3 a Silver!). So, I think they were about right, but they indicated it was a close call, so its obviously debatable.

-Ray

I tend to go for long periods of time without visiting DPR, but I have been there more often lately because of the interesting new cameras being released. Reading thru the Sony & Panasonic forums there is certainly a flush reminder what a vile citizenry DPR has. It's funny - in a pathetic sort of way - how hung up so many people get over a web site's "award", when the review contains pages and pages of information to peruse to see if a camera fits a person's need.

What I'm really looking forward to is a comparo between the "large sensor compacts" - the RX100 & Canon G1X - and the "fast lens compacts" - Panasonic LX7, Fuji X10, etc. I'd enjoy reading a thorough write-up of how the 2 different approaches trade blows.

I suppose it's the relative anonymity of it all. :(

I remember in the days of BBS's and even at the dawn of the graphical Internet, how happy and helpful and joyous we all were... it was magic.

I really thought the Internet would help save the world.

I suppose it's the relative anonymity of it all. :(

I remember in the days of BBS's and even at the dawn of the graphical Internet, how happy and helpful and joyous we all were... it was magic.

I really thought the Internet would help save the world.

I about spit up coffee after reading that.

I'm not terribly old, but I remember in the early 90's with a 2400 baud modem connecting to BBS's. Those were the days.

At any rate, I think people, for some unknown reason, need absolute justification for their purchases these days. Whether its about the best product around it if it was purchased at the best price, folks just need justification. I say who cares about what people think or a review site thinks as long as it does what it needs to do. There are some members over at dpreview who are up in arms over the camera not getting the gold medal. Its sad too, because one of the members over there who, in the past, was very helpful and knowledgeable has gone off the deepend about the camera.

Back