1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dusted off the D300...

Discussion in 'Nikon DSLR Forum' started by Covey22, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    ...and I'm reminded once again why we need different toolsets. As much as I love the portability and compactness of my second-hand Fuji XE-1, it's just not up to the task sometimes of shooting low-light and fast moving subjects, especially when you need a spot-meter that's off-center and slaved to your active AF point. Evening indoor concerts are a case in point. A relative was paying for tickets to a well-known Jazz musician, so I grabbed the D300 and the 180mm f2.8D, and away I went. I sometimes swapped with my newer 85mm f1.8G, which is incredible, even in contre-jour lighting. Unfortunately, the long lens is showing it's age, especially with CA artifacting on the brass instruments, but still did a yeoman's job. Given how light it is, I'm glad I had it instead of a heavier zoom, especially since I had to slog my way from a poorly shoveled parking lot over what must have been a glacier of ice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Very cool. And several great points. You got some great "jazz face" there, too.

3. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    You've got some nice shots there and I hope you enjoyed some good music as well. I do miss my D300 a bit but not the 180mm Nikkor. As you've said, there's quite a bit of CA to deal with, too much for my taste.