DXO Pro

christilou

Legend
I've been trialling this for the last few weeks and it's about to run out. I normally use LR and Nik but I'm finding that a DNG put through DXO pro's auto settings seems to improve the basics ready for editing back in LR. I found that after putting a Leica file into DXO and back into Lightroom, far more dust spots showed up in the sky than I had seen originally! Anyone else using this?

Are you saying that seeing more dust spots is an improvement? :tongue:

I have both DxO Optics Pro and Lightroom, and I hardly ever use DxO. I just find it too slow in processing, and Lightroom seems to give much better control over shadow/highlight manipulation.
I very rarely need the advanced lens correction options anyway.

It's likely that DxO provides a higher level of processing by default which brings out imperfections like dust spots. Adding sharpening and clarity (local contrast) will enhance dust spots. DPReview did a comparison once between LR, DxO, and C1 which showed how they compared for various cameras at their default settings, and which supports the theory of DxO applying higher levels of default processing.

Raw Converter Showdown: Capture One Pro 7, DxO Optics Pro 8 and Lightroom 4

DxO defaults are a tad aggressive for my liking, but I much prefer the end result to LR in most cases. Local adjustments are where it falls falt. V10 seems to be a significant speed improvement over the previous ones and has smarter integration with LR. The lens modules - not so much distortion correction as the sharpening - and the relative ease of getting the colour and look I like is why I stick with DxO

Back