Micro 4/3 E-PL3 and the OM lenses

petemasty

Regular
Does anyone use their old Olympus OM lenses on their Olympus Pens? Would be very interested in any feedback on this before I delve into the M43 system. Having gotten rid of the Canon 7d and lenses (just too bulky to carry round regularly) i've decided to consider the M43 system to compliment my Fuji X100

Kind Regards

pete

Pete,

This is precisely the road I have taken. All the Pentax gear is relegated to memory and my new Domke (F10) contains the X100 and the EP3 - with 14-42 and 40-150mm. Love using the little PEN! Honestly, with the VF2 clipped up top, photo taking is a pure pleasure. Now the real test of my resolve is not to burgeon my bag with primes. I'm tempted enough by the native offerings - 12/2 and 25/1.4 especially; then (with the Fuji) I'd have my preferred 24, 35, 50mm line-up all sorted :blush:

So, sorry, can't help you with the older OMs only because I am avoiding that temptation as much as possible. Though I could rattle off a handful that would certainly threaten my resolve to keep a nice small bag....

But, again, the PENs make a great complement to the X100....

Well they certainly worked with the E-P2 and E-PL1. You need, of course to get an adapter. Lots of us diehard OM-1 and OM-2 folks, first began the PEN route because of this. Let's see if we can find some members who can testify first hand. Personally, I had planned to us my OM-1 lenses...but then I realized that my manual focus days were over...I am just too slow with my "progressive lenses", among other things.;)

I was more thinking of just the one OM lens,. I'd plumb for the Panasonic 14mm (purely on price), the Olympus 45mm but something in the OM stable for longer lengths, maybe around the 100mm. Its a nice quandary to have really. The funds are there, but it's just a matter of biding my time.

Quite surprised that Nikon and Pentax didn't bring out a M43 sensor sized compact system. and the Panasonic gf2 and 3 just aren't my 'cup of tea'

watch this space.

Hi Peter,

i have had several OM lenses from 50mm 1.4 to the 100 2.8 to the 135 2.8 and the 300mm 4.0. Of these, only the 100 2.8 has been sold - great lens, but the 135 works better for me. I've recently done a comparison of the 50mm with the new Oly 45 - it compares very well (search this site).

In general, I like the OMs. Great feel/build. Compact (all but the 300mm take 49mm filter). Aperture ring easily accessible (not next to the mount).

How is focussing achieved? Is it all manual focussing using these older lenses?

Yes all manual focus and usually using the aperture ring setting on the lens. I then shoot in A mode and the camera's light meter manages the exposure.

Sometimes with small apertures (high f number) there is not enough light to focus so the technique is to focus the lens wide open and then 'stop down' to the lens aperture chosen for the shot.

Before I bought my X100, I had the EPL1. I used both an OM 50mm 1.8 and the 100mm 2.8. I sold the camera and 20mm Panny but still have both OM's and the adapter if you're interested.

Yes all manual focus and usually using the aperture ring setting on the lens. I then shoot in A mode and the camera's light meter manages the exposure.

Sometimes with small apertures (high f number) there is not enough light to focus so the technique is to focus the lens wide open and then 'stop down' to the lens aperture chosen for the shot.

I take it then that focussing is jedged by eye rather than confirmed by the camera unit itself.

Kevenv, at the moment, my interest in the Oly setup is just that, an interest. might well wait til after Xmas to take the plunge on a new CSC to comlpiment my X100. i may well even conisder the Sony NEX7. Exciting times ahead I think .

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I recently bought an OM Hanimex 28mm f2.8 prime lens and adaptor from ebay for my EPL-3.

It is not focusing properly. I have used manual focus lenses many times before and have had no problems.

Is there a setting somewhere that should be changed? I have it on manual and i have tried turning on IS and messing about with focal length but nothing has improved. I have also tried different shooting distances but nothing...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Charlie

Some manual focusing lenses are nearly impossible to focus accurately on the pens, even with the focus assist (zoom) activated. others are not bad. I find that the Konica lenses (prime), are a bit easier to get critical focus, than the OMs. I am an old OM user and love them. They look better, are smaller, and have very nice imaging. Just something about the way lenses "come to focus." I have used most of the 35mm brands lenses, over the years, but am most recently using just OM, Konica, and Vivitar. If you want to have any satisfaction using legacy lenses, buy good glass, recommended by the old timers here, that have proven what works best on the Pens. The pens are special, but need the right companion glass to really shine. I just came in from my morning walk, carrying the Ep-2 with the Konica 52mm, f1.8. Solid performance, though a bit heavy.

charlesturner said:
It is not focusing properly.

It's difficult to know quite what you mean by this.

If you are saying that it won't focus to infinity correctly then it's the adapter.

If none of your shots are in focus whatever you do, then it suggests a fault with the lens.
Hanimex as I remember were very much a budget make so I hope you didn't spend too much on it ...

If it's difficult to see when it's in focus ... It may be the lens design .
I use two 28s on my ep2 and of all my old glass they are the most difficult to judge focus.

Oh, and welcome to Serious Compacts!

Back