Early attempts at street photography

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Judderman62, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Well I have had my GX1 for 12 days now and not posted any pics yet so here's a few early attempts at street photography taken on my lunch break today.

comments/feedback welcomed .... but be gentle ;)

last 12 months I've really struggled to decide where I like B&W (have always liked it and feel it really works for street) or prefer colour.

so on the ones where I have posted both be good to see how many prefer B&W and how many prefer colour.

[​IMG]

8623323802_c8202d34a5_c.

8623322996_2e081e7bba_c.

8622222191_7819b2af41_c.

8622221485_219d5bf529_c.

8622218837_45d114243b_c.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    i'm far from a b/w purist, but I don;t think the color really adds anything in these shots. The colors are nice, but not essential. I'd choose b/w for these.

3. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    yeah looking at them again the only small thing is I like the colour on the lenses of the guys sunglasses.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that one might look wicked with some selective color....just the blue lenses

5. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    I have no idea how to do that ... is it easy ? I only sue lightroom

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't think you can that in Lightroom. There is some free software that likely does it. I know you can do it at the pic monkey website which is pretty fun anyway if you like playing with different processing options.

7. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Ooooh had a quick play on that looks worht a bit of aplay on that site thanks for that much appreciated.

Does anyone know of any free software for mac that can do that ?

thanks

Mike

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    pixlr.com is a free website that is basically a clone of Photoshop. You should also be able to do it there as well. However, it will be some trial and error if you have never used Photoshop before. You should be able to watch a tutorial on how to do selective color in Photoshop and translate it to the nearly identical tools at pixlr.com.

9. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    thanks for all that luke

10. Agree. Color can be amazing and add so much to a picture. But these are just fine in B&W.

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Anyone on Mac who wants a photoshop clone and doesnt want elements or Gimp could do worse than use that online tool, but also worth a look is Pixelmator, which does pretty much most of what PS does and is only $14.99 right now on the App Store (I paid full price). The sad thing is that its not compatible with PS plugins, otherwise I would switch right away.

Linkie Loo: Pixelmator

12. alessandro

alessandro SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Vicenza, Italy
    Noooooooooooooooo! The worst photographic invention of the last decade... :biggrin:

13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I agree that b&w seems to be the ticket here.

14. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    also welcome any general feedback - not just the B&W v Colour question. They are early attempts and one or two a tad rushed .