Eliot goes to Colorado! - Part 1 of 2

Gubrz

O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad
Name
Eliot
WOW! i FINALLY get back to colorado, and its for WORK! BLAH!
Colorado is where i want to wind up! Boulder, but id settle for Denver ;)
Colorado is where i met my copilot, Gonzo!
i did end up having sat/sun free, so went around denver one day, and boulder the next, but i was work bossman, so i wasnt totally free to just wander and do photography... he doesnt understand the ARTEEST's need to wander! lol
;D

while @ the austin airport:

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

denver:

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

when we landed we hopped in a rental truck and immediately rode out towards utah. go easy on me and the camera here... i kept getting grumbles when id roll the window down to take photos. apparently someone doesnt understand that shooting thru a dirty filthy window isnt the best thing for optimal image quality. plus, apparently the smoke from the fires in washington are causing a lot of haze(which dropped contrast a lot!) and even my extreme slider happy nature can only fix a jpg so much ;) mebbe ill start shooting raw...? *quirks eyebrow, pinky to mouth*

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01354.jpg

finally made it into Utah. it was a lot of... OMG STEEPNESS!
OMG BRAKES!
OMG DONT KILL ME!
OMG TURN TURN TURN!
OMG GUARD RAIL!
OMG I SWEAR I WILL HAUNT YOU IF I DIE YOU AND LIVE WHEN WE HIT THE BOTTOM OF THIS CLIFF!!!
lol

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

after so many "why do you keep having to roll the window down...?" questions, or passive aggressive huffing and puffing and eye rolling, i took a picture out the front window, and showed him the screen. it worked for a few minutes, before the childlike passive aggressive grumbles started up again, lol!

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

ok, definitely not an amazing photo, but i just loved the pop! lol!

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

our work tour guide for utah...

DSC01620.jpg

and a day later, we head back towards denver...

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DENVER! Oh, Frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

DSC01906.jpg

a room with a view!

DSC01915.jpg

opposite the elevators, i loved looking at the way the building over warped the reflections

DSC01916.jpg

looked up some fun restaurants to try out... settled on one a 25 minute walk north.. we headed out...

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

i thought this street art was... interesting... since it was on the wall of a homeless shelter

DSC01972.jpg

ok, we got to the restaurant, but it was in the middle of 25-35 year old OUT ON THE TOWN part of town, so it had a TWO HOUR WAIT!!!!
sorry, yer foods not THAT good.. and neither is Franklin's BBQ in austin.. slashrant... lol

i SO need one of these 29'r offroad tire bikes! it looks so fun!

DSC01975.jpg

walking to restaurant option #2... a photographer on top of a parking garage, i couldnt tell what she was photographing, but im sure she couldnt see what i saw either... fair is fair!
second restaurant... closed. they only serve breakfast and lunch... WHAT?!

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

the baseball field!

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

bossman was getting EXTRA cantankerous since he, for reasons that make no sense to me, hadnt eaten anything all day, so we just stopped at the next restaurant we saw with no wait... it turned out to be some super uppity place. i got passive aggressive grumbles for apparently "forcing" us to eat there. lol $90 later we headed back towards the hotel...

the next day

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

some squirrels are born rebels...

DSC02054.jpg

a sculpture of a naked man, face down in a 2" puddle of water

DSC02116.jpg

denver art museum building

DSC02131.jpg

went to washington park, and wandered around a bit. this is my new favorite tree! it was like a small version of home tree! or so it felt to me :D

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

gooses! geeses! i want my geese to...

DSC02201.jpg

... chase gold ducks for...easter...?... wait.. thats not....

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

to be continued!

OMG! JUST MISSED YOU!

what kinda stuff so you like to do?

you can go down to red rock ampitheatre for some light hikey outdoorsy stuff. its 30 min out of town
the zoo or aquarium are nice

6 flags if u guys do roller coasters
you can wander 16th street mall, theres lots of touristy shops and restaurants along it

you can go over to boulder, 35 ish mins NW and wander pearl street mall for art vender street fun
you dont have too far to drive for some light white water rafting tours, more hiking, mountainous walk/bike trails

denver has B-Cycle, so you can rent a bike right on the street and just bike ride around denver and the capitol flower area

theres also the Mint, you can do tours on weekdays

you can do a tour of one of the stadiums... they have 3 i believe!
or the art museum!

Hey, I'm in Denver this weekend for my nephew's wedding. We have a day to burn being tourists.....any recommendations?

btw, does that dude riding the bike realize that his bike looks a cartoon?

Luke, if you've never been, you should try to check out Red Rocks. As a music guy, there's no place better to see a concert in my experience. It's in Golden, a burb of Denver...

I love those bikes - I've seen some of them here at the shore - they can actually handle beach riding. I've been riding around down here on a Brompton folding bike, which is a wonder of engineering and design, but has teeny tiny little wheels. THAT looks like a clown bike - that's what almost everyone calls it. Those big balloon tire mtb's look just fine to me. Although kind of overkill for pavement!

Eliot - great shooting as usual. I think you're working too hard though - you need to just be out shooting when you're in those wide open spaces. The desert and mountains of the 4-corners states was my stomping ground for a good long time and I sometimes miss it. And seeing some of those shots REALLY made me miss it...

-Ray

Fat tire bike craze = the new "single speed" craze. Saw them all over Madison, because they handle snowy slush well. They look like fun, and I think "looking like fun" is what sells.

Excellent shots here, Elliot. I knew you were good, but you pulled a helluva lot of keepers for such a short time.

Wow, that's a lot of shots.

The few times I was in Denver were for work, and I only had an evening to explore, but it seems like a pleasant place to live.
79! i had almost filled my 32gb card by the time i got home... UGH! lol

Wow, Eliot, you sure got busy!! TBH I like your filthy screen shot. Sometimes they just work. As for the rest, hard to pick a fave, but thanks for the tour! Now, for Part 2 :)
thanks, and glad you enjoyed! :D

Crikey Eliot, don't ever come to Spain if your don't like scary drives lol! Loads of pics but I like your people ones the most ;) Ditto with Sue.... love that filthy screen shot...
yeah, im a big chicken on scary roads! tho ive dragged my knee going around race tracks on motorcycles... put me in a nice safe card on a nice paved safe road, and i PANIC! lol

Luke, if you've never been, you should try to check out Red Rocks. As a music guy, there's no place better to see a concert in my experience. It's in Golden, a burb of Denver...

I love those bikes - I've seen some of them here at the shore - they can actually handle beach riding. I've been riding around down here on a Brompton folding bike, which is a wonder of engineering and design, but has teeny tiny little wheels. THAT looks like a clown bike - that's what almost everyone calls it. Those big balloon tire mtb's look just fine to me. Although kind of overkill for pavement!

Eliot - great shooting as usual. I think you're working too hard though - you need to just be out shooting when you're in those wide open spaces. The desert and mountains of the 4-corners states was my stomping ground for a good long time and I sometimes miss it. And seeing some of those shots REALLY made me miss it...

-Ray
as USUAL?!?!?!?!
*grabs 'Photo Forum Bucket List' checks off "have someone say 'nice, as per your usual'" from list... does a lil smug hair toss... glances to gonzo like "Mhmm... thats RIGHT! As per my USUAL, Gonzo! you heeeeeaaaarrrrrrd him! ;D"
heheheheh WEEEEeee....!

Nice set of pics Eliot! Mr Bossman sounds a bit humorless though...
Looking forward to Part 2!

PS the fat bike looks awesome, gotta look into that!
ikr?! i need that bike! lol! :D and a beach to ride it around on!
and yes, bossman is cantankerous, lol
im always telling him to stop shaking his cane at kids on his lawn
haha

Fat tire bike craze = the new "single speed" craze. Saw them all over Madison, because they handle snowy slush well. They look like fun, and I think "looking like fun" is what sells.

Excellent shots here, Elliot. I knew you were good, but you pulled a helluva lot of keepers for such a short time.
"i knew you were good, but" wasnt on my photo forum bucket list, but ill add it, just so i can *hair toss* at gonzo as i put a big red check by it!
:D

thanks so much everyone, yer all very kind!
love youz!~*

Back