1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Encounter at Peebles Island

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    The phone rang Saturday morning. My brother-in-law was wondering if my wife and I would like to join him and his wife for a stroll with cameras on Peebles Island. Sounds like a plan, I said.

When we were unloading from the van, Kyle pulled his Nikon 3100 with kit zoom from the bag, and I unholstered my Panasonic FZ150. I was immediately struck that the two cameras were virtually the same size. I had always assumed that my bridge camera was significantly smaller than an SLR, but it simply wasn't so. The two cameras were so close in size, that it wouldn't be a stretch to say that I could mistake one for the other in low light.

So I got to thinking about the differences. The Nikon has slightly better dynamic range (.4 ev), 2 bits more color depth, and more than 800 ISO better low light sensitivity. On the other hand, if my brother-in-law wants more reach than his 18-55 kit zoom, he needs another lens (which he left in the camera bag in the van).

For my part, with my FZ150, I get lots more focal length flexibility (25-600mm equivalent), but I sacrifice in technical image quality, particularly if I want to make big prints or shoot in low light. Ultimately, it comes down to: how much are you willing to sacrifice for the convenience of not having to lug around extra lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Agreed, IF you want/need that overwhelmingly wide focal range. There's a lot more telephoto horsepower at the long end of your bridge camera that many of us never use, or use soooo rarely that its better to have a separate lens for it that mostly stays at home. At which point its very possible to shoot with a much smaller setup. Using a camera like the Oly EPL5 or Pany G3 or GX1 and a lens like the Oly 14-150, for example, you still get a very very wide zoom range with much less size and weight and need to carry additional lenses. Or, the same very small body paired with just 2-3 prime lenses may be all that many of us would ever want, at which point you're dealing with a MUCH smaller camera / lens combo with just a couple of very small additional lenses to carry.

You present a very specific comparison and its a good one if you really want the sort of focal length flexibility you have now. But there are a lot of other options that allow for a lot less size/weight and a lot better technical image quality (not to mention much faster lenses) if you don't require quite as much flexibility in the level of "super" in the super-zoom lens you're using...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Ray,

Thanks for the kind reply.

You did say the two magic words that get my juices flowing: "faster lenses."

Who wouldn't like a nice f1.4 something-or-other with decent reach? Or a Noctilux? (In which case, I say, "the heck with the reach, I want to be able to shoot a black cat eating licorice in a coal bin at midnight during a total eclipse . . ."

Still, there are times you simply cannot "zoom with your feet." Like at the shoot event I covered this summer for ShootingSports USA magazine or the example below.

Jock_s_Albany_Tulip_pix_002_Medium_.JPG

In any event, beside shooting photographs, isn't it fun thinking about cameras? Thanks again for your reply.

• Like Like x 1