EOS M down to $299 at B&H.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by lenshoarder, Jul 3, 2013.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
  2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Wow, I'm tempted just to take on my upcoming vacation. Recent reviews with updated FW sound promising.

Any opinions on either lens?

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I'm not sure the reviews of the new AF are exactly glowing though, lol.

EOS-M New Firmware | The Photo Video Guy

Still, at that price point it is good quality for a very low price if you can deal with the ergonomics and focus speed.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    Agreed. The only people glowing about the AF speed after the update are the people that lived with the speed before. It's still slower than pretty much any other mirrorless camera. It's moved from glacial to merely muddy. It's hard to explain how slow it felt before the update if you didn't experience it. I'm still wondering how Canon approved a camera for sale that was so slow. It made a DP1 seem like it was lightning.

Still at $300, it's worth considering. Especially if you have a bunch of EF lenses. While the Canon adapter is $200, 3rd party adapters that allow that EF glass to AF et al on the EOS M are pushing $50.

5. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, this is what goes through my head when I see this. Does the $299 price tag make the EOS-M auto-focus performance acceptable? I'm not sure. It seems like a great deal, but...

6. zapatista

zapatista SC Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Mike
    It's a promo through the 9th of July, until the next promo in August @ $249. :p

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I'm well and truly past the point of "needing" another camera no matter how cheap it is.

8. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

[HR][/HR]

Though the dp cameras are slow.. They are acceptable.. Slower than this is like are they out of their mind even to release it?

Gary

9. zapatista

zapatista SC Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Mike
    The 18-55mm kit lens on the EOS M focuses faster with the firmware upgrade than my XE-1 and 18-55mm also updated, noticeably so. The 22mm feels equivalent to the 35mm f1.4.

10. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I believe he means when they first released it when it was stupidly slow. It should never have been released then. It took them a year to crack this problem? Wow.

11. zapatista

zapatista SC Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Mike
    Yeah, it was pretty bad at first, and definitely over-priced with a 4 (then) year old sensor.

12. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 SC Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Southern California
    Rain
    I personally jumped on it and even got a 18-55 for around 130. Canon looks like they want to muscle themselves into the mirrorless game.