Micro 4/3 EP3 vs EP1 Experience Diary on mu-43

Thank you, but unfortunately I have already read that thread. I have read all threads about the new cameras over there. I have read the post by Amin that the E-P3 is a game changer for him and I believe him. Maybe I should put all those people who already own that camera to my ignore list (just joking), because I am nearly lost. I am quite sure that if my dealer has the E-P3 on my next visit, I will most probably buy this camera and maybe I should (although I wrote yesterday that I should not).

It is very difficult not to be swept away because so great photographers are among those who own the E-P3 and appreciate the camera so much. I cannot help, but if someone like Ray loves the E-P3, the camera must be great. This is much more interesting than all those sterile laboratory tests can tell. I know that the Pens have a soul because I already own two Pens and the excitement of photographers like Ray tells me, that this is still the case with the E-P3.

One thing I really love about the E-P1 is the warm color rendering but it doesn't seem a big enough step forward to offset the $$ to purchase a 3. Didn't Ray sell his NEX 5 and now has the new Olympus? (among other cams)

If one looks at the matter rationally, one might come to the conclusion, that as long as one needs to think about updating, it may make no sense to update ones camera, because the current camera might already be good enough. Unfortunately, things are more difficult. It is the emotional part which makes such decisions difficult. This is no bad thing as long as one gets enough joy for the money and as long as one can afford the purchase easily enough.

If one looks at the matter rationally, one might come to the conclusion, that as long as one needs to think about updating, it may make no sense to update ones camera, because the current camera might already be good enough. Unfortunately, things are more difficult. It is the emotional part which makes such decisions difficult. This is no bad thing as long as one gets enough joy for the money and as long as one can afford the purchase easily enough.

Yes, totally.

I have slowed (but not eliminated) this part of the equation by giving myself a cutoff date. Basically, I sold all my cameras and lenses except my M4/3 and tripods. I decided to focus on some projects, technique, better post processing and printing and a lot more photography, for one year. This ends in December.

Well, that's the theory.

I work on the knowledge that my current stuff works well, and the assumption that the new stuff will still be around in December. In the meantime, I feel a little less pressure and temptation, and am having a lot of fun. Still, it isn't easy. :(

The only real issue I have with the E-P1 is speed, mainly AF and having to wait a few seconds while it writes to the memory card before you can press the playback button. The former at least appears to have been addressed big time, not sure about the latter yet. One of the biggest things that I am waiting to find out more about is the apparent improvement in AF speed with adapted Four Thirds lenses. I still won't be upgrading now, but it's good to know for future reference.

One thing I really love about the E-P1 is the warm color rendering but it doesn't seem a big enough step forward to offset the $$ to purchase a 3. Didn't Ray sell his NEX 5 and now has the new Olympus? (among other cams)

Actually, I sold the GH2 and the Nex 5 (with lenses) and a Voigtlander 50 f1.5 to fund an EPL3 and the 45 f1.8. And then I saw some demos of the EP3 and its touch screen and decided it might be worth checking out. And since those various sales brought in enough for both, I figured I'd try the EP3 and then, depending on how that went, maybe also check out the EPL3 when it becomes available and keep the one I like the most. And I'm on schedule with that. So far, as much as I like the touchscreen on the EP3, I'm not using it a lot. But I've also been shooting a lot with longer lenses so far (because they're so challenging for AF and I want to see how it does - very well thank you!). I figure that by the time the EPL3 hits the stores, I'll have a really good feel for how I'm using the EP3 and if I'm still not using the touchscreen much, and if the EPL3 screen is decent quality, I'll likely sell the EP3 and get the EPL3. Or not if I'm using the touchscreen more.

And Pictor, thanks so much for the very kind words, but whatever merits I may or may not have as a photographer, I'm also a serious gear-head - I like the STUFF too. As such, I tend to gush over ALL of my cameras when they're new (with the exception of the GH2 which I immediately knew was just gonna be an appliance for me). And my enthusiasm doesn't really wane - but if something else comes along that will do the same job better or a new job I haven't thought of yet, I have no loyalty to my old gear and will sell it while it still has value (I did well on the Nex and VERY well on the GH2). I can pretty much guarantee that if Olympus comes out with a combined touch/tilt screen using the same light touch as the EP3, I'll sell what I need to in order to buy that too. And my photos all end up looking sort of like my photos whether I'm shooting with a Nex, m43, X100, or GRD3. So the fact that I like something should mean NOTHING to anyone else! Because I tend to like EVERYthing! :D

-Ray

For me, I had the EP1 and did NOT buy the EP2, EPL1 or EPL2, always saying that I thought the EP2 wasn't enough (LCD resolution was the biggest part, though I didn't particularly like the EP2 brown anyway). I also swore off the Nokton, and until very, very recently swore off the PL45 and the 7-14 (and any m43 lens over $500) because I said, if there was no true 50mm equivalent with AF and no portrait lens, then I wasn't going to invest in the system. So, when the EP3 came out along with announced mZD45 andthe PL25, I had already determine 18 months prior that I would buy this camera. What other choice did I have? :D

More seriously -- I am examining the EP3 because, with the focus speed improvement and the upcoming PL25, I'm hoping I can sell my 5D and get down to one system. The 5D is actually still worth more than the EP3 body. So, honestly -- it's anti-gas that I'm after! No, really.

Sorry Pictor. I didn't mean to play the role of the tempter to others.

(but join us, join usssssssssss).

It helps, but I would be happier, if there were no such problems. I assume that these problems will be solved by firmware updates, but it shows again, that it is wise to wait and not to be one of the first buyers. This is no uncommon problem and concerns many (if not all) branches. BTW, I find the problem concerning the touching the screen with the nose while looking through the VF-2 a little bit strange. That should not happen, if the camera was tested thoroughly.

It helps, but I would be happier, if there were no such problems. I assume that these problems will be solved by firmware updates, but it shows again, that it is wise to wait and not to be one of the first buyers. This is no uncommon problem and concerns many (if not all) branches. BTW, I find the problem concerning the touching the screen with the nose while looking through the VF-2 a little bit strange. That should not happen, if the camera was tested thoroughly.

Having been in high tech product development and release now for 17 years, I have seen that there's always something that gets by either product specifications or QA and testing.

Back