Epson R-D1s with Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4

Discussion in 'Other Interchangeable-Lens Systems' started by Burkey, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    What have I done! :2thumbs: 'Just got my "new to me" R-D1s back from Stephen Gandy at Camera Quest after a second check of the rangefinder patch alignment. Come to find out the first Nokton 35/1.4 I had had its own back focus issues. Stephen replaced it and all is good, very good actually. I have always really liked the R-D1 series color rendering and also really enjoy the rangefinder experience as an alternative to using our Fuji X cameras. The images below were from this afternoon's "test roll". Thought I'd share them. Any other R-D1 series camera folks around? R-D1s, Voigtlander 35/1.4, processed from JPEGs in LRCC.
    . . . David
    R-D1s (1 of 1).
    Porch Still Life - R-D1s (1 of 1). Darlene - R-D1s (1 of 1).

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Still the camera someone should re-invent ... Very nice showcase pics :)

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Burkey

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Thanks, Matt. And a whopping six megapixels to boot. ;-) From a purely aesthetic, (vain?), point of view I've always wished it said Voigtlander, as in Cosina Voigtlander, on the top plate instead of Epson. But. . .
    . . . David

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Every year or two, I get an itch to try one.....and they always seem too expensive for a 200 year old camera (at least in the digital age). I know one doesn't NEED more than 6MP, but I keep thinking SOMEONE will bring back this camera....without all its' quirks.....and for around $1,000. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

I will look forward to your photos, Bruce. They definitely take fine photos in the right hands. I'm just not sure that I'm the guy for it.

5. Burkey

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Hey Luke. Yup, it's a bit quirky at its best and I find I'm relearning it whenever I pick it up. Its the way it renders an image that drove me back to get another one. They show up on Amazon for around $1200. and change but you will most likely need to find a real craftsperson to adjust the rangefinder patch as I did. Apparently getting the top plate off isn't an enjoyable experience.
    Still, it is a fun and very different experience with rewards. I've made a couple of 6"X9" prints on my Pro 100 printer this afternoon and they look exceptional. The 6MP "thing" reminds me of the Digilux 2. Plenty of resolution.
    PS - Bruce? ;-)
    . . . David

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    lol.....I'm currently texting with a guy named Bruce.....and I called him David!

7. Burkey

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Been there, done that. Have a nice evening. ;-)
    . . . David

8. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    What a lovely camera, David.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Burkey

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Thanks, Miguel. 'Greatly appreciated.
    . . . David