1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Everest Gigapan

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by tdp, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Wow, very very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

G

2. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Indeed.

3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    If you zoom in all the way, follow the glacier upstream, just behind the mountain to your left, you'll see a long string of climbers like ants.

Bloody breathtaking this.

4. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    You can also see tents just to the right of that line of climbers. There also appears to be a single climber on the saddle just to the left of Everest.

I wish I had this when I read Into The Silence. Would love to see climbing route lines overlay the gigapan.

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    omFg...... I hadn't even thought to zoom in. That really gives the mountains some scale that was missing. They're even smaller than ants......like fleas!

6. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Found this link detailing how the climb works, fascinating read. I have a few pals who have made it to base camp (those are the hundreds of tents strewed at the bottom of the glacier). I should call them and congratulate them after having seen this image.

HowStuffWorks "How Climbing Mount Everest Works"

7. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    omg

8. Vidar

Vidar SC Veteran

Oct 25, 2010
    Bergen, Norway
    Vidar
    Indeed, cool link.

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  10. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    My brother and I keep finding more and more in the image. There is a single climber and a pair on the North Col, there are a few people spread out through the Khumbi Icefall and basecamp is huge. I'm sure some of those are just adventure travel groups. Would love to see this from the Tibet side.

11. jhowell39

jhowell39 SC Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    norcal
    Jim
    • Like Like x 2
  12. tdp

tdp Guest

I have a co-worker with a Nikon DLSR and he owns a gigapan thingie and he has never used it. I keep trying to get him to go to one of the city vistas and give it a try but he won't. He is a camera gear.....um, collector? You ought to see his lighting setup.

Odd though he never really shoots.

13. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'm getting dizzy zooming in and out and panning - can someone tell me (maybe a screen shot with bright red arrows) where the climbers are? :biggrin:

UPDATE: Ah, now I see some sort of colorful basecamp near the bottom of the mountain, where the glacier sort of starts its upward angle.

UPDATE 2: I feel a serious migraine attack coming, but I finally saw three climbers. SUCCESS! And all I can say is WOW.

14. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    There you go -

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Also marked in red, and in blue are tents...

everest.