Everyone in the Boston / New England area OK?

My thoughts are with the people of Boston. The footage on tv this morning was disturbingly reminiscent of life in England during the IRA mainland bombing campaign. Acts of terror have an impact on life far beyond the deed itself.

I hope the authorities act promptly and decisively and catch the instigator or instigators before they can strike again.

Sent from another Galaxy

I'm truly sickened by what I've seen on the news this morning. As Lightmancer has already said, we've become more used to scenes like this in the UK over the years but still it strikes hard when innocent people are targeted in this way .

Just watched the news here down under, my heart goes out to all the dead and injured, I find it hard to express how sad it makes me feel for the future of our children and grand children, I hope and pray that one day we can all live in peace and harmony. wish a speedy recovery to all the injured survivors of this tragic event.

My thoughts are with the people of Boston. The footage on tv this morning was disturbingly reminiscent of life in England during the IRA mainland bombing campaign. Acts of terror have an impact on life far beyond the deed itself.

It's funny (and I don't mean in a humorous way) that you should say this. While the folks on the news were making comparison with 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bomber, I was thinking, "This reminds me of the IRA bombings during the '80's".

Very happy Amin & Co. are OK. Very sad that a major marathon - which, like the Olympics, should be a wonderful multi-national experience - has to fall victim to blind hatred.

I was in Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park in 1996 about an hour before the bomb there, right near the actual bomb site. I'd always imagined that someone that evening unknowingly took a photo with the bomber in it, but back then there wasn't an efficient way to gather and analyze all of those photos. Nowadays with Facebook and Flickr, that might be possible.

I was too. Was down right near the bomb site in Atlanta 1 hour prior, then I realized how late it was and started driving back to Athens - I was still in college then. Then 2 years ago we (wife, daughter and I) were biking through Times Square about 4 hours before the car bomb incident.

As for yesterday, my wife and 3 yr old daughter were there about 2 hours before the bombs went off, then they left to have lunch with friends and come see me at work. Bombs went off while they were here in my office, and I didn't find out til right after they left. They went home and took a nap, so they didn't even know until I got home from work at 6, woke them up, and told them. Disbelief, then shock, then disgust. Daughter is young enough to have completely dodged the whole thing, thank god.

Back