Extreme photo rescue (share yours)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Luke, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    last night I was called upon to shoot some photos of a band that my friend plays in. I told him I didn't have any fast lenses and didn't do flash photography and couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to get anything useable. He said it didn't matter, they were just going to hang out for awhile anyways, so I should just come along and shoot some candids of the guys hanging out having a beer. I thought I had the camera set to auto ISO, so I don't know why this one is at ISO1600. I couldn't see anything through the optical viewfinder. This was in a dark alleyway between two buildings. There was a small desk lamp on an end table inside an apartment which probably had a 60 watt bulb in it, and that was being filtered through some half closed blinds and filthy, grimey windows. This was what I got SOOC......
    10154844853_684df57097_c.
    untitled-8180 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Here's my rescue.....

untitled-8180-Edit by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Of course, now that it's bright enough to see what is going on, we can see that my friend's face is pretty obscured by Todd's bandaged hand, but it went form no photo to something that is semi-useable. Share an extreme photo rescue of yours.

• Like Like x 3
  2. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    My thought is, that you may have brought up the "exposure" a little too much. But, you do have a "memory" shot, that would have otherwise be lost.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Cool idea. Of course, my photos are always well-exposed. :tomato2:
    Seriously, I'll look into the archives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have a bazillion which are underexposed or overexposed. Underexposed I can deal with, but recovering highlights in the overexposed.... blergh.
    Checking archives.

5. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Was bracketing for an HDR, pulled this from a single image on the D800e.

xH90KQZ.

Sorry about posting from a dslr. But missed posting here since I've been using larger cameras nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Nowhere near as extreme, but this was in my early days with the RX1 and I was surprised at just how much detail lived in the shadows on this guy's face and the highlights of the neon sign right above his head...

PHilly RX1-306 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

8595626599_fdd9c267fb_b.
    Sony RX1 - Philly by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    My god, that D800e...

8. muzee

muzee SC Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    + 100.

(I couldn't stop scrolling back and forth).

• Like Like x 1
  9. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    Personally, I find rescuing overexposed images more interesting and challenging:

8724768122_9209e8f52c_c.

DSCF6999 by ricopress, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    It's pretty spectacular for sure, albeit perhaps more in the realm of "cool trick" as opposed to "would I ever need a safety margin that large?"