Fabulous Aussie Surf Band From the 1960s

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Having been in radio for many years, I consider myself well-informed in most musical genres. But - much to my chagrin - I must admit I had no knowledge of this fabulous Aussie surf band from the 1960's - until today. Truly worthy of Dick Dale, The Ventures and all the rest...

[video=youtube;IyREz_Z2Fuc]

Hey there Biro send this to Quentin Tarantino it may spark off a new film about some jolly swagman braving the high rollers but conning the local lifeguards out of their shark bait thereby causing the beach to be safer but more crowded.

I have a play list on Spotify that is over 36 hours long - Dick Dale / Ventures are featured but the mix is very & extremely eclectic

some of my friends had a pretty successful surf band in the 90s. The live shows were always sloppy sped up versions (usually fueled by too many Mai-Tais). Here's one of my fave tunes of theirs, but the CD version is waaaaaay better. Well worth a 99 cent download if you like surf music.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SyyyzoC1070" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here they are in a shot I grabbed last summer.....
View attachment 72856
The Exotics by Lukinosity, on Flickr

I'm going to go off on a tangent. Surf music... plenty of Aussie stuff in the 60s, but you know theres a lot more to Aussie music than surf music, Kylie or Olivia. (Mind you, take a look at the Atlantics doing Bombora)

[video=youtube;-3agVtY4Z6M]

In the 70s and 80s there were some brilliant bands and solo artists around and most didnt see the light of day outside australia. You may be familiar with some of these, or not.

[video=youtube;Nap-gw171dw]

[video=youtube;CQ0ejjxE2DE]

This always brings me to tears... Viet Nam war stuff
[video=youtube;aXaczfR_lo0]

Also check out Icehouse, Eurogliders, Split Enz (NZ band which wnet through a number of incarnations and became Crowded House) John Farnham... many more.

Thanks, Sue. Actually, yes, I'm aware of most of those bands. Which is why I'm a bit surprised that I didn't know the Atlantics. Aussie culture is rather close to American culture - in some ways closer than Canadian culture - because our history and collective experiences are so similar.

This one was already 5 years old by the time I got into it in high school, but I played that record to bits......
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YmQlBfxh4Us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, Sue. Actually, yes, I'm aware of most of those bands. Which is why I'm a bit surprised that I didn't know the Atlantics. Aussie culture is rather close to American culture - in some ways closer than Canadian culture - because our history and collective experiences are so similar.

the 50s and 60s saw Australia doing its best to *be* American. We all sing with US accents too. lol.

Back