Fearing GAS attacks

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Alf, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I know, it's the wrong moment of the year. Work has been a little busier and a little less useful, hometime more proactive, and outside dark. Plus there are presents to choose, visits to make, people to meet and as the guy said "it's not those enemies are going to kill themselves on their own, you've got to do the job".

You all know what this means: few pics, and an increasing thinking that bright new toys will magically make them while you have a cup or two.
    And breakfast.
    6531886567_1ec85d951e_b.
    cannolo! di alfrjw, su Flickr

In a land where camera shops are nearly extinct, I managed to see all the toys, and touch them all.
    G3.. PL3.. PM1.. not better than my PL1 to play with.
    5n.. C3.. nice to hold, ugly interface.
    X100.. oh beautiful but impractical for now.
    X10.. like but has a viewfinder.. don't know.
    NX200... oh wow. How did it happen I didn't buy it as soon as I touched it? It's looovely:love:. Well, in that place it's €850 for the 18-55 open box :mad: and "no 16mm kits for you".

Plus, priorities must be considered. Ladies first, and their toys too.
    6531846269_31bbf60e7e_b.
    Poi di alfrjw, su Flickr

That didn't stop me from a long walk, and a few things for me.
    6534145271_1108e044b0_b.
    La Filatrice di alfrjw, su Flickr

In the end, I'm almost decided. In a few months, it will all be sorted out. I think I'll sit this mu43 generation out and end up with the NX or the fuji duo.
    Meanwhile, aperitivo.
    6534191477_bae7cf93fb_b.
    Arancia di alfrjw, su Flickr

And in the evening, of course, the ladies!
    6534227199_46d89fed8f_b.
    Fanny di alfrjw, su Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Alf, I love coming along on your walks...and listening to your thoughts while seeing your photographic "illustrations". Let's all meet at that little stop "Arancia" and discuss things in more detail.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Great photos Alf! As always, you do a great job storytelling your photos as well. Makes them even more special.

Is that last photo of the lady odd looking? Can't quite place how her body fits together.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I Think I have the best camera, that I have ever owned, but.... the roving eye is still messing with my contentment.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Actually, for a friend I should say she fits together quite well :wink:
    The pic was shot from the audience (being friends gives you perks like 2nd row seats and freedom to shoot), while she was almost seating : only the lower back and the elbow touching the seat - not a very comfortable position, while being visually effective in the play.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    She's lovely and so is your low light image, Alf. She's got a fantastic smile!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Alf great story photo telling!

• Like Like x 1
  8. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Thanks for the chat Alf. That's what I love about your reportages, that it seems as though we are walking together down the road and both ears and an eye are transfixed by your tale.

Mate, as long as the NX200 doesn't mess with the storyline then I'd say go for it....then again the more prudent side of me says "when it aint broke, don't fix it"...in your case the little PEN consistently delivers great images....as is the case, again, with this recent portfolio.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    She's good looking for sure! :)

But what I meant is that her head seems to be floating and dettached from the torso. Maybe it's the magazine movement blurring out her neck?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Part is the movement, and part is the combination of her posture and a quite long neck. While I love the way the Olympus mkI draws, at 42mm longer exposure are part of the story. And I didn't think of bringing along the hexanon 50/1,4...

11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Alf I love your narrated images! And these were shot with the 14-42 mk I?
    Excellent!
    as to your choices
    "In a land where camera shops are nearly extinct, I managed to see all the toys, and touch them all.
    G3.. PL3.. PM1.. not better than my PL1 to play with.
    5n.. C3.. nice to hold, ugly interface.
    X100.. oh beautiful but impractical for now.
    X10.. like but has a viewfinder.. don't know.
    NX200... oh wow. How did it happen I didn't buy it as soon as I touched it? It's looovely. Well, in that place it's €850 for the 18-55 open box and "no 16mm kits for you"."
    Have you considered the XZ-1? Zoom fast even at long end!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Its images look nice, but it doesn't come alive in my hand. A pity because I like its lens, but I won't buy a camera I don't like to hold - it would end up not being used.

13. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I completely understand Alf. My favorite cameras to handle and use are my GRD's and my E-PL2. I still adore the XZ-1 for its results though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Alf, love your narratives as always, for me, the shoe shot is wonderful. Don't know why, I just really like it.

• Like Like x 1