1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Thread: "Grassfire!" by kyteflyer

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by kyteflyer, Aug 15, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I wasnt going to go to my usual locations today but with smoke billowing into the sky... I felt compelled to investigate. Found that my favourite grassland was up in smoke and flames, and my favourite tree...almost. Here's a few shots from today...

The tree
    9512568097_53f680bb6f_b.
    Maryland Grassfire by kyte50, on Flickr

and more
    9515355328_d8abe7314d_b.

The grassland
    9515355946_ca6cb4a25b_b.

9512568621_b45bd688e7_b.

The aftermath
    9512567067_6be261667c_b.

9515357108_977c9c5310_b.

9515356336_fc6f705c07_b.

Mind you... I don't think its over. Even as I was pasting those links, I heard another fire truck arrive. The fire was very close to houses, and if the wind changed direction, there would be trouble. I hope the ducks and geese are safe.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    I am sorry to hear that your favorite grasland and tree felt victim to the flames. Isn't ironic that such a terrifying thing provides opportunity for spectacular photos? You've build a very nice story out if it. If I had to pick one, it would probably be #1 because that visualizes the threat to to tree so well. The contrast in colors is also striking. The light and texture in the last three photos is also incredible. #4 could easily represent the "underworld" or hell in the photo challenge!

Thanks for sharing Sue. I do hope all is well with the people and houses.

Peter

3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Wow. Stunning set. Try sending it out to the local news outlet quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, guys. re the news outlet... too late, they were there.

Anyway, I have more, and I think they are better. downloading now, but plan to don a heavy jacket and boots so I can go back. It will be interesting to see if the V1 can deal with night shots. It should be fine, I think.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Here's more. I am SO impressed with the Nikon V1 + 30-110... It handled todays events without a hiccup. Magic. This set is about the firemen as well as the fire... but more about the workers. Geez I respect them!.

9515991934_2d870d16d6_b.

9513202099_6029b630dd_b.

9515990864_c6fd5146f5_b.

9513201051_a05ce30729_b.

9515989344_f052ac972e_b.

9515988348_a95d5cee04_b.

9515986990_da73f2455a_b.

9515986060_4cf4cd339c_b.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
  7. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Excellent photographic reporting Sue, the colours are beautiful despite it being such a destructive event. Well done indeed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Excellent set of images Sue. I was particularly interested in number 3 of the original series showing how the fire drew in your local Kites trying to catch any small mammals and the like displaced by the fire.

Also the set on the firemen since any people photography that I do tends to revolve around people doing a job of work rather than random individuals with no background to the photograph, so all good stuff and well done.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Christina and Barrie. I think today's shooting was the most I have actually enjoyed in weeks/months, even years, perhaps. Its so different to my usual genre, and with the V1, I was in my element, whilst the Canon DSLR shooters (of which there were many, I only saw big Canons, the odd P&S and phone cameras.) were madly chimping to make sure they got the shot (in the meantime, missing many more). I actually have a couple of shots of one fellow who spent more time peering at his screen than taking photos :) But... I do have one of him shooting, too. Must be fair <grin>

I had a great time today and am feeling quite enervated!

10. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I continue to be impressed with the V1 - good work Sue

11. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Stunning shots Sue! I particularly like the shots of the firefighters, both because of the human / story element and because of the mixed emotions, due to the very obvious threat creating heavenly colours in the sky (the first one, with the firefighter shielding his face from the sun, is amazing).

• Like Like x 1
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Bart. I was just really lucky today, and having a camera with really fast AF for a change, was amazing. I'm completely besotted with the Nikon 1.

13. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    That second set is indeed very special too and proves that the photographer is more important than the gear!

• Like Like x 1
  14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks Peter... but I do believe the gear helped an awful lot!

15. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Wow, Sue... Weren't you just saying you were sort of bored or stuck lately?

You managed to get out there and photograph a very tough and emotional situation - beautifully. I've been looking more closely on Flickr. Sad, tragic...however you've shown nature's power and destruction as well as the attempts of the selfless firefighters to hold her back. I am so sad about the loss.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Yes, BB, I have been stuck, but then opportunities like this one have not been presenting themselves, almost on my doorstep. I would have been MAD not to go do some shooting :)

Thanks so much for your kind remarks on Flickr as well :)

17. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    It's easy to make such remarks, Sue!

18. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Sue, I almost skipped this thread. I was thinking what would I care about a grassfire. I'm glad I clicked. There's so many great photos here I had to move it to the front page to make sure no one else missed it. Great work. I imagine you can get some more great ones of the aftermath. I'm hoping for some gritty b/w.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    So sad to see this and yet you documented it well. Nicely done Sue.

20. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Nice job. Good coverage!

Cheers, Jock