1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured forum thread: 'Twister fire starter (Fuji X100S)'

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Petach, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
  2. NathanJ

NathanJ SC Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    Superb shots. Love the second one

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very VERY cool Pete. I'm amazed that the people could be that still for the 30 second exposures and there'd be that much movement of the flame and the sparks in the 6/10 second exposure. But the end result in stunning in all cases. I've never seen an event like this, but I'd like to some day...

-Ray

4. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    That is awesome!!!

5. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Awesome, love the first one. Did you have to do any noise correction in PP? The camera is said to be excellent in darker settings but I was just curious about whether or not you had to tweak a little.

6. Ya those create some fantastic shots.

7. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    just tweaked contrast, expposure and colours. No noise correction at all

Thanks

Pete

8. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Very Cool!

9. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Gorgeous shots!

10. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Good stuff Pete. Was this just happenstance and you notice the fireworks or were you notified beforehand? What were they burning, steel wool? What was your shutter speed? Just Wondering.

Gary

11. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Hi Peter, I'm with several of the previous posts- I really want to know more about the evening. Can you fill us in on the background a wee bit please? I'm hoping to set up some similar shots once the weather changes, my curiosity has been piqued by the organised nature of this. Mine will be much rougher!

12. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Hi Gary/Heather, it was photo club night. We (gasp) trespassed on derelict warehouse premises on private land (Now, children.....I do not expect you to follow our example)

Yes, steel wool encased in a metal kitchen hand whisk on a tether. Lights up nay bother

There are more shots on my flickr account. Exposure anything from 6/10s to1 minute at f8 to f11 or even f22

Heather, I can put you in touch with our crazy fire starter club members if you like. They can tell you how to get certain effects, such as:

8642522026_ae8b32629d.
    Fire Spin 5D 24-105 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

cheers

Pete

13. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Sounds fun! There was a "how to" article in (I think) Practical Photography not that long ago. Some great results. A contact who has done this stuff would be great Pete, the issue is that you need a few crazies to do whisk spinning whilst you are camera footering. I might manage to persuade some of my nurses to help out. It will cost a lot of cake!