1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured: 'Some images from the DP3m in Japan' by Boid

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Boid, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    For my walk around kit, I usually carry a Ricoh GR and the X100 in a nat geo canvas bag with two pouches.

I hugely enjoyed shooting with the X100 but I needed a wider field of view than 35mm especially for shooting architecture. So I bought a wide conversion lens for the Ricoh GR which takes it's native 28mm fov to 21mm (in 35mm terms).

And I replaced the X100 with the DP3M, because I needed a carry around that could shoot primarily portraits.

As an added bonus the batteries between the two systems are interchangeable, and since one needs a host of batteries to make the Sigma last out a day, this was great.

So far I'm really impressed with the IQ from the DP3m. And I'm finally happy with my setup. For now.

Here are a few images from the DP3m -

Handheld in low light, which the Sigma isn't very good at. ISO200, f2.8, 1/60th
    dzs2ZnD.

It does pretty good macros as well, which can be improved with a Marumi magnifier
    OJeiDyg.

As a portrait camera in good light, I'm really impressed with the colors from the foveon sensor
    ryXAjO7.

A 1:1 crop from the same image
    nAml0HE.

A portrait, I think even the blown highlights work for this image
    WavGh4A.

Makes great b&w images as well
    DF6d1Fy.

Sculpture at the National Museum of Modern Art
    C5JxZsc.

If one respects the very narrow parameters that this camera works in, it's possible to make images that surpass one's expectations.

Needless to say, I'm a fan.

• Like Like x 17
  2. Billdad

Billdad SC Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Tell me any camera that can match the DP Merrill quality for the size, welcome to the converted love the shots
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    ^ Excellent - I think the Geisha could stand a much closer crop Mr Boid

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    If you right click and select "view image" you can see the images a bit bigger.

5. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I haven't come across anything quite like it.

6. shaolinchris

shaolinchris SC Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    The contrast looks so nice. Thanks for reminding me why I should be saving up to go to Japan. Very jealous!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    very nice set Rajiv

• Like Like x 1
  8. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I really like the dark(ish) surroundings of the golden temple, they make it pop much more than most photos I've seen of it. Lovely portraits also - is that missus Boid? (Not the geisha obviously, the other lady :tongue: )

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Wouldn't mind the geisha as the missus, though I'd imagine getting anywhere on time with her would get rather trying.

The portraits are of a colleague (fellow architect). This was an office trip to Japan. These trips work out very well for me, because I get to boss them around and pose for me. In particular there were complaints from this particular colleague that I'd never taken a good image of her.

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Great images Rajiv - glad these were moved to the front page as I'd missed them previously. I had a DP1M for a couple of months in the summer of last year and was amazed by the detail in the shots, but didn't seem to care enough about it to prefer it to more rounded cameras like the Coolpix A or GR. And the bokeh in that 19mm lens was really busy and distracting. Was never interested in the DP3M because it seemed too short for portraits, but that's where all of that amazing resolution really matters - you can easily crop these images down to make them anything up to at least 150mm and still retain amazing detail. And the bokeh in these shots is much nicer.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    she can't say that anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    One would hope!

13. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Thanks Ray! I'm enjoying the camera so far. I pretend the batteries are film canisters that I have to change every 80-90 frames. I'm still learning the camera and it's a finicky beast. The ISO stays put at 100 and I'm on the lookout for a small tripod to carry around all the time (something like the ZipShot from Tamrac, but I think they've stopped production). Highlights get blown very easily and if you underexpose the image and try boosting the shadows some funky color noise creeps in.

I'm actually ok with the 75mm fov for portraits. I don't have to step too far back to take a picture. With only wider fixed lenses in my walk around kit, I missed being able to compress backgrounds. The DP3m does that nicely. I was still undecided about picking it up till the last minute, but an additional $100 off (down from $600) at Yodobashi Camera at Akihabara sealed the deal for me. I think the exchange rates might have been in my favor as well.

14. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    A few more pictures from the DP3m (if you'd like to see these pictures large, please right click and select "view image")

KuLTao9.

9bDtyjJ.

muL3kr4.

GoZCbwv.

wuydS99.

ixoWivH.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    beautiful photos!
    There's always something that fascinates me with good Foveon shots... the colours and contrast feel very natural and "non-digital" (like there's still a "hint of film emulsion" in there... :smile: ).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Great images, Rajiv. Am very tempted to pick up one of the DPxM cameras as the prices are really low right now. Literally half their original price. I've got the original DP1 and DP2, so I'm no stranger to slow camera operation and the 'joy's of Sigma Photo Pro. And if I get a DPxM, I get a spare battery that can also be used in my Ricoh GR!

How did you find the camera's operation speed when out shooting on the streets of Japan? How is shot-to-shot recovery speed?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    If you're ok with not reviewing your pictures, you can shoot away pretty rapidly while the files keeps writing to the card. I can shoot about 5-6 pictures in rapid succession without filling the buffer.

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Great images! That first is a winner, you must have extremely steady hands!

• Like Like x 1