Featured: 'Streets of La Paz, Bolivia (Life at Altitude)' by Luckypenguin

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. I'll try to respond to a few of your comments below.

Great set. Those mannequins are quite freaky.

They were everywhere too. It was harder to find a "normal" mannequin than a wacky one.

Great series from what looks like a fun trip.

I serriously need to do a South America trip.

It almost seems weird that most of South America is actually a long way from North America. Our journey took us overland almost the whole way from Mexico City to Chile in Santiago. That part of the trip took almost five months.

Que buenas fotos Nic, me gusta mucho....

Mi Español is malisimo, pero yo entiendo qué se dices (yo penso!). Muchas gracias, amigo!

Great Set, Nic

I would really like to visit S America

Clearly Herbie lives

For me, the B & W ones portray a totally different atmosphere to the vibrant colours

I think you are correct about b&w vs colour. I am a big fan of b&w but I always favour presenting an image in colour because it is a more accurate representation of the scene.

I like the photos of the produce sellers in traditional garb. I'm afraid they are the last of the line to wear those clothes. I'd wager if they have children who are also farmers, they wear modern work clothes or something similar.
Good observation, and one that I think is correct for a lot of developing countries that I have visited. The world is getting smaller and information easier to get, so the kids and young adults in cities like La Paz find themselves exposed to similar influences as those in western countries.

A wonderful set! The one of the old lady selling -- shipping foam I quess -- (OEM5-P8239283-PR Olympus OM-D E-M5 La Paz Bolivia) is my favorite. Really a world class street portrait.

If I remember correctly it was actually a type of puffed cereal!

I love these, Nic. Wonderful views into a place I will probably never get to see. Love the colors!

As soon as the kids are all off to College I reckon a four year long trip around the world is in order. Don't laugh; we met an Australian guy in Colombia who was about three years into such an adventure. He'd go home every now and then but had spent most of the last few years on the road.

very evocative; they really convey a sense of time and place. i enjoyed them all.

As much as street photography frustrates my aesthetic sense in that there is little control over composition, subject, and background, I find that it's value is in what you've described; the ability to record a place and a time.

Excellent photos Nic, the one with the meats for sale literally turned my stomach...lol

Would you like your beef tongue dried or fresh :tongue:

Yes. This.

Great set, reminded me more than a little of Cusco.

There are certainly some analogs, although Cusco is certainly the smaller or the two. The following is a view over part of the city of La Paz

11337148585_a8320fd795_b.jpg

PGH1-P1100971-PR Panasonic GH1 La Paz Bolivia by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

This is only a small part of La Paz. It stretches around to the right and out of sight down the valley. Cusco of course is very much geared to servicing the tourist industry that surrounds Machu Picchu whereas La Paz remains somewhat ambivalent towards tourists.

Back