1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Feel Like Spamming the Spammers

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ReD, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I see a few posts today & unfortunately clicked on one from a spammer

What kind of thought process goes on to make them think they are doing something worthwhile & to their own benefit ?

Or are they just paid to disrupt?

Wish I had the expertise to return spam & hack them off

2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    They're done by machine so no thought required. It costs so little to spam that even a tiny number of clicks can be profitable

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that was quite an invasion. I think I got 'em all. If anyone still sees one, please use the report post button...I may have missed one.

4. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks Luke. I am glad I missed the spam because I had no internet connection for a while.

5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Blimey - that was a biggie. Bit of cleaning up required. They are pond slime.

6. Ya, I don't get it. Who actually clicks on these??

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    dave, it doesn't even matter. It takes no resources to spam so if you get 2 clicks in 100,000 it probably pays for the robots to be running.

8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    How does it pay ?

Where is the revenue in a click?

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    if it didn't pay, people wouldn't do it. I don't know how it works, but surely it must. I know enough about human nature to know that people like money and most (if left to their own devices) are lazy.

10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Part of the "revenue in a click" is your ip address showing as "live" for future targeting purposes, I'm afraid. For the same reason never ever click on a link in a spam email, or respond or a spam text or call - you are worth more as a proven living person than as just a speculative target.

Sent from another Galaxy

11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm surprised the spammers even get to register... I can't recall, does the site use a CAPTCHA for registering, and, are there any antispam plugins in use? (think of akismet for starters, which has a plugin for forums but not sure about vbulletin)