Filipina maid photographs "modern slavery" in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT Panther, May 25, 2015.

1. A tough subject to read about in 2015.

Whenever we are whining about a certain camera not having a certain feature, or a particular lens having too much or too little XYZ, we need to remember that there are those fighting to survive.
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    strange that a story about a young woman's photographs includes no photographs. The story is awful. The sad part is that it is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

3. Ya, I was wondering why no photos. I wonder if perhaps they did not want to have their images published???
  4. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    I've seen my share of especially child exploitation including sexual abuse; not only in so called third world countries. Add corrupt governments and "law enforcement" forces and billions of ignorant, selfish consumers who don't give a .... who assembled or stitched their fancy stuff together. I better stop it here.
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    It happens everywhere - it's just a lot more out in the open in some places where it's all but legal. Much more under the radar in western countries, but it goes on...

Yeah, camera "problems" are pretty much always first world problems, but not all first world problems are first world problems...

6. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    The good news is exposure like this helps to raise awareness and strengthen legislation to fight human trafficking; of which OFW (overseas foreign workers) abuse is a symptom.
  7. shaolinchris

shaolinchris SC Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    seen this on first hand. humanity really pokes its ugly face out once in a while.

8. I sure hope so.

9. Yup. Fortunately, there is also a lot of good. I just pray that the good can keep pace with the bad. :)