1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First day with Pentax MX-1

Discussion in 'Other < 1" Sensor Cameras' started by Tilman Paulin, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    got my Pentax MX-1 in the mail yesterday :smile:
    So of course I had to give it a try today - even though the conditions weren't ideal. Summer's over here in the Pacific Northwest, that's for sure. But I guess that's to be expected in November. :)

First impressions are "The camera seems to be doing its job fine." Not as good as the EM-5 obviously, but jacket-pocketable instead; and pretty decent image quality for a small sensor compact.

A lot of reviewers complained about the camera being chunky. But the fact that it's longish (it's wider but not as high as the Olympus XZ-2 - which has the same lens/sensor) makes it slip in and out of a pocket much easier. Not having a hotshoe helps too.
    Especially when hiking in the rain it's nice to have a camera that you can just put in a pocket of your rain jacket.

Camera got pretty wet. From the rain, and from holding it under dripping water to get some shots :rolleyes: It kept working fine, but it's still sitting in a ziplock bag with cat litter right now. Better safe than sorry :)

10664157476_8e8612c831_b.
    Elk Creek 01 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664161586_784eeaf954_c.
    Elk Creek 02 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664164616_18945901c3_b.
    Elk Creek 03 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664370593_e76b19915d_c.
    Elk Creek 04 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664373603_46e2668c1d_b.
    Elk Creek 05 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664174686_b688e8d4e4_c.
    Elk Creek 06 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10664180954_3c4cbd23d0_c.
    Elk Creek 07 by tilman paulin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 20
  2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Great job there and a nice set of images. The MX-1 was surprisingly good when we had a play in store especially at f1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Really nice work. Love the macros.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    5 and 6 are faves, but they're all very good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks guys! Yes, my first impression of the macro mode on the MX-1 is really positive. You can go as close as 1cm in "super macro" mode.
    I'm sure I'm going to use the macro option a lot in the rainy winter weeks to come :)

The forest shots with their high contrasts and lots of detail in foliage&branches are a challenge to any camera/lens.
    Detailwise I think the MX-1 did well enough (as far as you can judge from handheld photos on a rainy/misty day :) ).
    I was definitely impressed with the metering though. The MX-1 did a great job with nailing these tricky exposures.

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Excellent pics!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Great shots! And looks like a fantastic hike! Envious.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    • Like Like x 12
  9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My wife is very fond of her Optio I-10 and the macro setting is surprisingly effective. This is why I borrow it sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    now that I'm using the MX-1 for a bit longer I can say that I still like it. :) Whenever I don't want to carry around my bag with the EM-5 and lenses I'm happy enough with the MX-1's results...

JPG output is really good. Nice colours (I use the 'vivd' setting) and a good balance between noise reduction and sharpening.
    I had a hard time matching the in-camera-jpgs with RAWs, so I might just use jpgs a lot of the time.
    Capture One did the best job from the three raw-converters I own (Lightroom, Noise Ninja and Capture One). Lightroom and Noise Ninja have very muted colours by default - they're probably only using a generic dng-profile...

My biggest gripe/wish with the MX-1 is that it doesn't display the focal length at all. I wish they'd add that with a firmware upgrade. (Or even better a step zoom setting of some sort.)
    Another thing (which is my own fault admittedly) is that I got a big scratch on the screen after two weeks of using. Not sure what I did, I only put it in and out of pockets. Never happened with my previous cameras (probably dumb luck), so I bought a screen protector which should take care of that :)

Some more shots:

The beach at Pacific City on Black Friday:

11134721864_7b8b837c08_c.
    Happy Thanksgiving by tilman paulin, on Flickr

11144029385_c56ca9e041_z.
    Pacific City beach by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Yesterdays hike. Elk Creek again - the same hike as in the initial post. This time without rain but with low clouds instead :)

11157509404_484d5b219b_z.
    start of the hike by tilman paulin, on Flickr

11157618733_91ac7fbbae_z.
    Elk Creek by tilman paulin, on Flickr

11157427745_a730bfd60e_z.
    up in the clouds by tilman paulin, on Flickr

11157610853_f1983aa8f6_z.
    cloud walking by tilman paulin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  11. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Great images from you and the Pentax .
    The beach portrait is really nice.
    If it only had a viewfinder :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks!
    I know what you mean with the viewfinder. Every once in a while I catch myself moving the MX-1 to the eye :-D

But I guess a viewfinder would have added to size and/or price. Since I wanted to spend as little as possible (I wasn't sure how much/little I would use a pocket digi-cam) I decided to live with some compromises. So far it's been ok, maybe I'll change my mind next summer, when the sun is out again :)

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I know these shots are good because of Tilman's eye for a good photo and yet I keep putting one in my virtual cart and then closing the browser window.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I would agree. I am sure the MX1 is fine, but the quality of these photos is all down to Tilman's eye, IMO. Please feel free to post more. Enjoying your work! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hehe, thanks Luke and wt21! And "sorry Luke"! :tongue:

Judging by how long the MX-1 deal on woot is running by now... (and that you can get it at Adorama for the same price in the meantime)
    I don't think you have to rush a decision... :)

(P.S.: actually Adorama is cheaper since they do free shipping, AND you have the right to return it (you can't with woot). But I guess I'm not helping here :wink: Take your time with a decsion. This one won't sell out in a hurry :)

16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the woot deal I saw is sold out. The Adorama is still ongoing. I just love the design, but I know I'll be disappointed when I get it because my photos will look nothing like yours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    woot still has it listed on it's photography page. Guess it's not selling well at all. Feel almost bad for Pentax :)
    It's not a bad camera, but I guess it missed the boat in a some ways. It's the cheapest way to get the Olympus XZ-1/XZ-2's lens though... (other than buying used/ebay) which counts for a lot in my view...

18. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    They shoulda just adopted the Olympus viewfinder port as well so it could use the VF-2/3 or even the VF-4 (swoon).

19. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    yes, the option to add a viewfinder would have been a good move.

20. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    superb photos Tilman :)

have joined the ranks of MX-1 owners today myself :)

• Like Like x 1