First Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Other < 1" Sensor Cameras' started by sirbenski, May 9, 2017.

1. sirbenski

sirbenski SC Regular

Apr 24, 2017
    So as I was cleaning my old room, I stumbled upon this little gem that has been just sitting there quietly for a number of years. My Canon Power Shot A1000 IS camera.

My mom got this as a gift way back in 2008 and immediately handed it to me. This camera started my passion for taking photos. So glad that I found it and it still works!

Now that I have it again, it's gonna be on display. :) Canon Powershot.

Do you guys still have your first cameras?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Biro

Biro SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My first digital camera was the Casio Exilim EX-Z4 from 2003. I gave it to my brother in law a couple of years later and he got a few years put of it. He still has it and it still works. But it's not used much anymore. Like everything else I've ever bought from Casio, it can't be killed.

Casio EXILIM EX-Z4

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    So far I guess I'm the early adopter: 2001 Pentax Optio 330 Review

• Like Like x 2
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Looking back through the archives, it seems that I bought my first digital camera in 2003. A Canon S50 with a respectable 5 megapixel sensor.

It's now languishing in my father's cupboard, having been overtaken in image quality by pretty much every mobile phone in the family.

-R

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 1
  7. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Kodak DC-210 zoom in around 2000.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sirbenski

sirbenski SC Regular

Apr 24, 2017
    Haha! I just read a review about my old Canon Power Shot A1000 and found out that the video resolution is 640 x 480.

Back when I was using it, I was amazed by the quality!

10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    When I bought the Kodak (it cost me $1300AUD *faint*) I actually really wanted a Sony Mavica because it stored its images on a floppy disk. LOL! Couldnt afford it and have never been able to afford a Sony anything, anyway.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Biro

Biro SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    One of the reasons I bought my Casio - in addition to Casio reliability - was that it had a lens from Pentax. My camera was also a bit of a big deal at the time for what reviewers called its "huge" 2-inch rear LCD. How times have changed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. marlof

marlof Trying to focus Subscribing Member

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    For me it was the Canon Powershot S10, which I bought in 2000 and used for
    quite some time. I gave it to my brother and he used it again for several years before it finally stopped working.

Canon Powershot S10 Review

13. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    Er, the Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom anyone?

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    My second was a C760UZ. It did fine with its 3.2Mp
    IMG_7918.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I also wanted the Mavica. It seemed so simple given the current level of technology. I finally did get an an Olympus e-10 which felt like a "real" camera. Olympus E-10 Review

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Nikon Coolpix 600 from 1998 (bought 1999, I think): Nikon | Imaging Products | COOLPIX 600

1MP, fixed lens (36mm-e), fixed ISO, a battery life of maybe 50 shots (on good days) or 30 with the rechargeable battery. But also an almost inaudible shutter, fast AF (though really bare-bones), nice feel and finish, macro (14cm) and a viewfinder (a tiny see-through thingy, though) - that can be used to keep battery consumption low because you can completely switch off the display. A quirky little thing, it was. OTOH, it felt quite nice in the hand - had it been quicker, it would have made a pretty good street shooter (once it was switched on, it actually was, but you had to switch it off between shots to save power).

M.

P.S. The camera just died. I tried putting in batteries, and after a few feable attempts to switch on, it went dead, taking the batteries with it ...

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  17. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Ours was an Olympus C3030. Incredible shutter lag - I took a lot of pictures of my feet. :)
    . . . David

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    I did the same thing... Lusting after a Mavica with the 3.5" disks but had to settle for a Kodak DX4330 which had just been reduced from $1200 to $600 because it was 3.1MP and the latest version had just dropped with 4MP...

IMG_1089.JPG

I rode that little Kodak hard all over Western Australia, at work in the mines, in the desert on Army exercises and only retired it when the control knob disappeared and the battery door fell off completely... I had gotten by for a good year or so with electrical tape holding it shut!

Luckily for me I won an Olympus C80-80 in a magazine subscription prize just before the Kodak left it's mortal coil... :biggrin:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. lenshacker

lenshacker SC Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The first Digital Imaging Sensor I worked on was in 1981. Don't have anything left of that one.

21525007985_2e963568e3_o. kodak_front by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

This is a Kodak DCS200ir, 1994. Still have it, still works.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow Wow x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy

As in design and built...?

Holy smokes, that was the year I was born...