First Few Days With Recently Acquired X-E2

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
Those of you who are also visitors to the FujiXspot forum may know that I had been considering switching to Fuji from Sony, for reasons too long to go into right now, since I was over there seeking advice. A new X-E2 was waiting for me on a recent visit to Chicago and I took it for a walk along the lakeshore to try everything out and make sure all was in order. Here are a few shots from Montrose Bay taken on a very bright Saturday and a very overcast Monday earlier this month. All were taken with the 18-55 lens, though I did also acquire the 35mm lens. Starting with sunny Saturday:

View attachment 101722

15455850417_6782499121_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15021091364_f2f7aa9a59_o.png

And one of the famous Chicago skyline:

Moving on to moody Monday here's that skyline again taken from roughly the same spot:):

And no trip to Chicago would be complete without a shot of one of Chicago's iconic skyscrapers, the John Hancock building:

Seen here with an icon of old, pre-conflagration Chicago, the Water Tower:

And finally, the near compulsory shot of Cloud Gate aka The Bean in Millennium Park:

15643451445_d4164b3912_o.png

There are a few more on my Flickr

Hello Olli,

Nice images. They have a unique atmosphere, maybe serene is a good word (mixed with a bit of melancholy in some?).

By the way, I acquired a X-E1 last week (2nd hand, at a camera-store) and immediately took it on a city-trip to Rome:). Yesterday I took a quick look at the results, and I immediately recognise the 'look' of your images. I'll share some later.
I found the X-E1, my first very serious camera, a joy to use. Only annoyence: when using the viewfinder in bright light, light creeps in (I have to add this is my first camera with VF plus I'm using my left eye, while right is maybe better considering the position of the VF). Also I find the 18-55mm a little heavy compared to the camera.

I'm curious: did you shot JPEG and/or used a film simulation mode?

Paul

I like how much space you put in most of those images. I've been there (recently, even), and in person it feels more crowded than that. You gave it a nice spacious, airy feel. And as has been asked, what did you think of the camera?

Thanks everyone.

Bill, I'm mostly enjoying it. I don't change cameras that often so it usually takes a while to get used to new buttons, new screens and such. In this case I've found the transition relatively straightforward though there are a few things that get in my way. Specifically, I miss having the tilt screen that I had on the NEX7 and the rubber eyepiece on the X-E2 is very much inferior to that of the Sony. On the Saturday, the day when the sun was shining, I found it difficult to see the image in the viewfinder when the sun was ahead of me and coming from my right. I looked for a replacement online but it seems it is fixed and not replaceable. There are a few other minor issues that I've come across but nothing major. I think that's a long way of saying that I expect to be enjoying it very quickly. One thing I am definitely enjoying already is having the aperture dial on the lens. I'd forgotten just how practical and intuitive an arrangement this is. In fact, I don;t think now I could ever go back to a camera that has it any other way.

Rajiv, I too prefer the images from the overcast Monday. I prefer the atmosphere and the light on these kind of days. It could be to do with growing up in Northern Ireland where damp and overcast was the default weather condition of my childhood. I think also that on bright, sunny days that very brightness of the day overwhelms everything else.

Thanks Christilou. I took a few of the beach on the Monday. This was the best. On the sunny day there were too many people on the beach. The Bean is a wonderful piece of work. I remember reading a bit about its development and construction a few years back after my first visit. It's worth a read - I'm sure there's something on wikipedia. What was amazing is that it's made up of over a hundred different sections welded together yet the surface appears to be a single flowing piece of metal. I had thought of picking up a second hand X-E1 initially just to try out the Fuji system, but in the end it seemed more sensible just to go the whole hog and get the X-E2.

Paul, serene and melancholy are good words - I think some of the time they apply to me too so perhaps some of these pictures are a good portrayal of me as well as the scenery. It's a mood I certainly like and am drawn to in other people's images. As I mentioned above I too have an issue with the viewfinder surround not being substantial enough even though I'm shooting right eyed. I actually like the weight of the lens. While the X-E2 is well built, it felt a little lightweight in my hand after my NEX7 though whether it actually is lighter I don't know, but the NEX7 to me has a solidity that the X-E2 doesn't. The lens gives it back that feeling of solidity. Regarding these images, they were all processed from raw in Lightroom - though fairly quickly and just the basics. I had read enthusiastic reports of Fuji jpegs in some tests and on a number of forums but I wasn't that impressed. They are definitely better than the Sony jpegs but nowhere near what I'm looking for. I still prefer to shoot raw and jpeg together so that I always retain the option of processing my own images. I never use the various modes that come on cameras - too much to remember, to much to adjust. Like my images, I like to keep it simple:) I look forward to seeing your pictures from Rome.

Yes I saw that one Kyle. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it only works on the X-T1. The beach was a lot more crowded on the Saturday, especially near the dog beach so I didn't really take many where there were lots of people. It was pretty much deserted on Monday - partly because it was a weekday and partly because of the damp, overcast weather I suppose. For my thoughts on the camera have a look at my reply above which I posted before I saw your comment. Generally, though, I like it and think it will be relatively easy to adjust to.

Luke, I've no doubt that after a period of adjustment it will be an enjoyable camera to use. I plan to get out and start shooting round the streets of Pasay/Manila and we'll see how it copes with the heat and humidity and the occasional typhoon.

I find myself using my left hand to reach up and over the camera to shield my eye sometimes. I think having glasses makes it worse. Methinks this would be $14 well spent, in my case. For the XE2, I see some hacks on youtube from that moldable plastic stuff...

Yup, that light flare is a PITA, particularly if you wear spectacles. It happens on the X-Pro too, but it is a trade-off - it isn't as bad, but I can't adjust dioptre so I have to rely upon my specs. I have found that different frames make it better or worse - I have a rigid Ray-Ban pair and a more flexible Oakley pair and the latter is better because I can mash it harder against my face.

I have just a couple of days ago taken delivery of the X-T1 eyecup and I can confirm that it is a) bloody good and b) not compatible with any other X body.

While the X-E2 is well built, it felt a little lightweight in my hand after my NEX7 though whether it actually is lighter I don't know, but the NEX7 to me has a solidity that the X-E2 doesn't.

Indeed, I was suprised how light and 'empty' it feels without lens. It seems like the metal parts are pretty thin. On the other hand, I think the quality is fine and out shooting I much rather prefer a light body! The buttons on my Olympus XZ-1 have a better more positive click, though.

I find myself using my left hand to reach up and over the camera to shield my eye sometimes.

Yep, me too, and it works. But it's not how I want to hold my camera. I think I'm going to try switching to my right eye, that might help, and anyhow is better for a rangefinder type camera.

2nd annoyance is the command dail. I would like the option to use it more, as alternative for the 4-way controller. For example, switching ISO's via the Fn button..:s The command dail is easier accessible while looking through the VF. If i'm correct, the only use it has while shooting is for the Q-menu and manual focusing.

Anyway, it's nice to read your first experiences Olli. Sorry if i'm 'stealing' your thread.

Not at all Paul - all comments are welcome, especially as we are both beginners with the X-E1/2

I agree with you on the underuse of the command dial. It does seem odd that it doesn't really do very much when actually shooting. Being able to put ISO there would be ideal. Perhaps that would be a good addition for the next software update. Speakingof which, the other thing I would love to see is the ability to switch to viewfinder only but still have the display function when I select menu or replay. At the moment as far as I can tell switching to VF only turn the display off for everything rather than just for live view when shooting. If I've overlooked something here I'm happy to be enlightened.

Speakingof which, the other thing I would love to see is the ability to switch to viewfinder only but still have the display function when I select menu or replay. At the moment as far as I can tell switching to VF only turn the display off for everything rather than just for live view when shooting. If I've overlooked something here I'm happy to be enlightened.

Try this really quick: Turn the camera on, put it in EVF Only, fire off a few shots. Then hit the playback button, and change it to LCD Only --while it is in Playback--. On the old X100 and the new XT1, this means that the camera remembers which view mode you want for each, shooting and playback. I can shoot the X100 in whichever of the 3 modes I want, but it remembers that reviewing pics is LCD. Does it work for you?

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I switch it back to LCD in Display it turns the LCD back on for everything.

Hmmm... odd that it works for the X100 (oldest X cam) AND on the XT1 (newest). I'm either not describing it well, or the XE1 just doesn't work the same way. So when you're shooting, you have it on EVF only. And then when you hit the green arrow (review pics), you hit the DISP button on the back and cycle it to LCD ONLY... and then when you hit the green arrow button again, it doesn't go back to EVF?

If not, then it's counter to both mine. Fingers crossed.

So it's fine until I get to the hit the DISP button part. When I do this is brings up a bunch of options, none of which offer an option to change the view mode. The only way I can do that is to go into the menu and select the LCD/EVF settings tab and choose LCD there. This then turns on the LCD for everything. I suppose it's possible that something else about the way I have it set up is affecting how this works.

I don't have the cameras on me at the moment, but I *believe* you just KEEP hitting that DISP button to scroll through your 3 options: EVF - Sensor - LCD Only. So if you do that while shooting, you should be able to get it to EVF ONLY. And then hit the green arrow button, look through the EVF, and hit the DISP button til it scrolls over to LCD ONLY. Thaaaaat oughtta do it...?

Back