First pictures with Nikon P7700

Discussion in 'Nikon Forum' started by Pim, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    I recently bought a Nikon P7700, for use on those occasions when I don't really want to carry my Mu43 camera and lenses. The Nikon just fits in a small pouch on my belt, has very decent specifications and is a joy to use due to its formfactor and abundance of external controls. These were shot as Jpeg (I don't have raw support in my current Lightroom version yet), and processed in Silver Efex.

• Like Like x 11
  2. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
  3. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Great images! And another proof that it doesn't really matter which camera one has. Regardless of your "downgrading" from m4/3, you bagged beautiful shots:)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
  5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Looking good, pim!!! How about some colour as well? I'd love to see what it can do, it was on my shopping list for a minute and its still in my maybe basket :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks all, I will try and post some color shots soon, I am sure the camera will handle these just fine though, especially once I get some raw support. For me though the handling of the camera is an integral part of the fun of taking pictures, and in that respect I am very pleased with the P7700. I am sure future generations of this camera (and the canon G series for instance) will only improve in the IQ department, with new and very likely bigger sensors. I had a look at the Sony RX100 as well of course, but for me it just did not work as far as handling goes, so for now the Nikon is the right compromise for me.
  7. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Sweet shots, I'd definitely be interested in the P7700, if it only had 24mm on the wide end.
  8. Vieri

Vieri SC Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Very nice work!! Gotta love the P7700, a very good camera in very capable hands. Thanks for sharing! :biggrin:
  9. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Very nice, you used the infinite DOF to good advantage.

10. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
  11. Iansky

Iansky SC Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Cotswolds, UK
    Great set of images and love the B&W effect - perfect example of it being the person behind the camera and not just the camera!
  12. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Lovely set

13. Deer_Dodger

Deer_Dodger SC Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Amazing photos, and whilst they clearly show what is available from a small sensored point and shoot these days (please don't take this as a knock, as that's the only such camera I possess), you clearly have a great ability to point it at interesting subjects and frame these beautifully.
  14. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I'd be very interested to see what you could do with the Coolpix A

From what I've seen so far the P7700 produces better images (certainly equal) & the only drawback I can find on this camera is the lack of viewfinder

I'd love to see a side by side comparison with the A
  15. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks! Actually I am now looking at the Coolpix A actually, but probably even more so the new Ricoh GR. I used to own the GR III and loved the feel and handling of that one. Ultimately though I decided if I was gonna carry a small sensor compact it made more sense to get one with a zoom. I tried the Canon S100, was happy enough with the output but just did not get on with the handling (I prefer my cameras with some better ergonomics as I explained before, hence the P7700). Now with the new Nikon and Ricoh I am definitely looking at those again. It would not be my main camera, and maybe not even general compact travel camera (for that I will stick with the P7700 with the versatility of the zoom and swivel screen), but I certainly see the appeal of the big sensor in a compact carry anywhere camera. So bottom line yes I will probably try one of these soon. But the modern smaller sensors have gotten to a point where if you don't require large prints they do just fine yes.. problem is I do sometimes like to print up to 60x40 cm and there the APS-C sensor would certainly outshine the smaller ones I would assume (not to mention the low light capabilities of course). Anyway, will keep you posted, something tells me sooner rather than later I will probably get either the Nikon or Ricoh...:)
  16. Batist

Batist SC Rookie

May 16, 2014
    Chambéry, Savoy, France
    Baptiste Payen
    I have both the p7700 and the ricoh GR with the wide angle converter...
    Since I bought the ricoh I almost never used the p7700.
    The P7700 is a great camera, but the image quality of the Ricoh is outstanding.
    If like me you shoot between 28 and 50mm most of the time, then the IQ will be better to equal (far better at 28mm, near equal at base ISO and better at high ISO when cropping to have a 50mm equivalent) with the Ricoh.
    Then if you use the long end of your P7700, it still has it's place near the Ricoh GR (and near the coolpix A of course !).