First steam of the year.

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by Ripleysbaby, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    The weather was foul and every trackside spot was taken, every pull in full. Never seen as many spectators for a steam event.
    This was taken near Scout Green Just south of Shap. The extra locomotive makes a big difference on the long pull to Shap summit .
    The return (this afternoon), on the Settle Carlisle line benefits from having no electric overheads.
    The weather is not looking good though. High wind and heavy rain now. Just for a change :biggrin: Fuji XE1 + 35mm

DGAR8400 by sucofni, on Flickr

And there it was, Gone.

DGAR8403 by sucofni, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Wow, looks like a real event, with many spectators. Cool!

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    Such a beautiful machine!! Do or did they call them "iron horses" in the UK?
  4. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I guess those crews were expecting plenty of lineside interest and weren't about to disappoint, second engine with a full head of steam (safety valves just feathering) and fresh coal just put on the fire (judging by the smoke), leading engine not long fired. Such a shame about all the lineside clutter and overheads.

No mainline steam scheduled for my part of the world until late April, indeed no mainline connection for at least 3 weeks soon with repairs to Whiteball Tunnel on the Devon/Somerset border cutting us off from most services to the rest of the UK. Also the nearest preserved railway is closed due to a landslide, so steam less for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    where are Green Peace when you need them!!!

I suppose that they are somewhere in the Arctic Ocean bothering those poor Russians!

Apparently the Arctic Ocean is the smallest and shallowest of the world's five major oceanic divisions - I never knew that!