1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First time I had a medium format camera aimed at me

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Armanius, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Today is the first and only time I've even seen a medium format camera in person, much less, have it used to take photos of me! I started work at a new firm, and was asked to go to a studio to get my photo taken for the firm website. I was totally surprised and impressed when the photographer pulled out a Phase One. I was expecting a Canon 5D2 or 5D3 or maybe a Nikon D800. I found the camera rather intimidating. Having photos taken under studio lighting turned out to be more difficult than I imagined. It was difficult to relax, and it was hot. Nevertheless, it turned out to be a fun and interesting experience.

2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Do those big, old Polaroids that the DMV used to take your driver's license photo with count as medium format?

• Like Like x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Last time I can recall was at my wedding and I think it was a Mamyia.
    This was loooong before digital

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm guessing that your new firm spends too much money for headshots that are gonna be tiny ones on a website. Hopefully they pay you too much as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I used to own a Yashica Mat-124G in the 1970s. And I still have a couple of Brownie box cameras stored away somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    The photog who shot my Bar Mitzvah pics ~40 years ago used a Rollei TLR, which was the first time one of these was aimed at me. I also own about a dozen MF film cameras, ranging from Rollei and Yashica TLRs to Pentax 67s, Rollei 600x series SLRs, Koni-Omegas, and Mamiya RZ67s.

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    thinking 120 film on the same lines as above it wasn't until 67 that we had a 35mm camera in our family (ie my Halina Paulette electric)

up until then it was an Agfa Bellows jobby

8. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    You reminded me that I had one for a while. Mine had a sticky shutter as I recall.

I did have a Mamiya 645J myself for a short while.
    I used it for "super slides" They were awesome projected.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Wish I had a Phase One back for my Hasselblad 500 C/M. I still enjoy shooting black and white film with it and doing the darkroom thing, but I think the three Zeiss lenses I have for it would do just fine on a digital sensor. I love the camera, and would love to bring it into the digital age.

10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I wish!!

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts