1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First time X100 user

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by Lieven, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Lieven

Lieven SC Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Italy
    Got my (used) X100 in the post yesterday evening. Decided to buy one now as prices have come down quite a lot recently and I can't afford to spend a lot. Unpacking was a happy event, does that little camera remind me one of my Minolta's of yesteryear!

Fuji X100

15595021010_7a4d5eab79_b. Fuji X100 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Minolta AL-F

15162385654_65a5bb7c9b_b. Minolta AL-F by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

After reading through the manual I took the new camera out for a very short walk to the post office, 150 m from my house and took some pics. Luckily I live in a very interesting little village (just look up San Sperate on Flickr, it's worth it).

I am a strict Aperture Priority Mode shooter, want full control on ISO (that's what the fn button is for no), even if I plan to try out Auto Iso on this camera, need only one central AF area and will gladly recompose holding the AE-L button. And I shoot Raw, because I consider post production (be it in the dark room of olden days or the light room of nowadays) an integral part of my photography.

That said, the in camera jpegs are really good! I've already set the camera up with 3 custom settings for 'special' colours (aping one of my Sigma DP2's settings ... I admit).

15781759475_2d49b833cb_b. San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

And one B&W custom setting, trying to emulate - at least a little bit - Ricoh's High Contrast B&W.

[​IMG]San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Back home has seen me wrestling with Fuji's Silkypix Raw Converter a bit, leading to some interesting results. In camera jpegs are very good - as you would expect when comparing them with the DP2's - but I think I like the artistic expression of moulding files in a raw converter much more. Some comparisons: in camera jpegs first, then processed raw files.

In camera jpeg
    15783342752_d4716e4819_b. San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Processed raw
    15758074996_6355fe5ffb_b. San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

In camera jpeg
    15596596887_9e9371cc0f_b. San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Processed raw
    15596595467_b3936c8b91_b. San Sperate (Sardinia, Italy), November 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Ever since switching to digital photography I have been searching for a 'digital version' of my trusty old Nikon FM2 with standard 50mm 1.8 lens. Might I have found the one? Certainly this little Fuji gets to you very quickly.

• Like Like x 15
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    They got so much right with even the first version of this camera. Still love using mine.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I have several other cameras, but the X100 is my favorite.

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Great work, Lieven. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my X100T.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Nice work Lieven! I still have my X100, and still do not feel any need to "upgrade". I dont use it often, but when I do it never fails to perform beyond expectation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    By the way, your photos are really good! Can't wait to see what you do with the X.

7. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    very interesting and enjoyable photos. imo the original X sensor kicks subsequent xtrans to the curb. just my opinion. were i to buy fuji again, it would ONLY be the original x100.

8. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    I have the original X100 too. Great camera make sure you have the latest firmware. fuji did a nice job updating this one.

9. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Great stuff!
    I'm still shooting an X100 with no huge desire for the S nor T :smile:

10. Lieven

Lieven SC Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Italy
    • Like Like x 3
  11. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Raw Therapee is great for those X100 files. The tone mapping, when done delicately, really does some great things to them.

Love these too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK

100% agreement with this - RT is wonderful piece of software (if a little quirky in places), and it works wonders with x100 Raw files.

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Some really nice work, Lieven!

14. Lieven

Lieven SC Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Italy
    • Like Like x 4
  15. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Nice work - it looks as though you've 'tuned in' to Rawtherapee. IMO it's a great piece of software, which continues to reward, the further one delves into it. There's so much that can be done with it, and I can't get results to match it from any other of my processing software. Geometry editing is not its strong suit, but for colours and details processing, I find it to be superb.
    Let's see some more results, when you have them to hand.:bravo-009:

16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I really like the look of Rawtherapee, and tried to use it instead of Photoshop, but its latest version for Mac doesn't work with the newest beta so I'm back to square one. Lieven, you've done great here, love all versions but my leaning for favourites is toward the colour, of each.

17. Lieven

Lieven SC Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Italy
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Those color profiles are fantastic. Lots of POP without being cartoonish.

19. Lieven

Lieven SC Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Italy
    Took a stroll in the small village of Giorgino near Cagliari this morning. Once a little isolated fishermens' outpost, now surrounded by the harbour. Strictly B&W shooting, even if I do have processed some of the files in colour, and yes they do look good as well. But not on show here ;-) I'm shooting the X100 exclusively in aperture priority, using only full stops (not used to the thumb switch yet) and heavily relying on the good old measure-press AEL-and recompose trick. Dangerously close to what I used to do with the old FM2 and FE. I'm freely switching between EVF (for subject matter as below) and OVF (for 'people' shots as can be seen on my Flickr page). All pics then post processed in Raw Therapee where I've created several colour and B&W profiles which I elaborate on when I feel it necessary.

15924915552_488ed2dd01_o. Giorgino, Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy), December 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

15923588791_90efbcc66a_o. Giorgino, Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy), December 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

15739522209_3462721859_o. Giorgino, Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy), December 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

15305894993_4ecdd4da6f_o. Giorgino, Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy), December 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

15924886792_135b3ff576_o. Giorgino, Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy), December 2014 by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  20. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Sounds (and looks) like you're getting along well with it. Nice work.