1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First try with my new NEX 5N

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Pim, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Pim
    As promised in my first post yesterday I went out for a photo shoot with my new NEX 5N. Destination was a historical open air museum in my hometown of Eindhoven in The Netherlands, with reconstructions of stone age, bronze age and early medieval houses and settlements. All pictures taken with the 18-55 kit lens, which seems to perform quite well. I would have liked a little more reach on the wide end, but as far as kit lenses go I am quite happy with it so far. I can see this becoming my one lens combo when travelling really light.

Anyway, now for the pictures; it was a dark and gloomy day, not much color, so I went for Black and White conversions. Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy one or two.

DSC00159-Edit. DSC00152-Edit. [​IMG] DSC00143-Edit. DSC00136-Edit. DSC00121-Edit. DSC00097-Edit. DSC00091-Edit. [​IMG] DSC00055-Edit.

• Like Like x 8
  2. jakri

jakri SC Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Jim Krivitz
    Pim, These are absolutely terrific! You've tried a little bit of everything - tonal contrast/DR, varied perspectives, simple yet rustically elegant subject matter, wonderful form and textural contrasts. You've made that little powerhouse of a 5N (and with the kit zoom, no less) sing. Well Done!

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Some nice stuff in there, the three legged stool is hands down winner for me.

You know us vets, obsessed with stools...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Pim, everything you've shown so far shows without question that you have a GREAT photographic eye and you really get B&W, both in terms of seeing and processing. I don't see anything here that's specifically better because of the camera used, but its the camera you're comfortable with, that's all you need to know. A fine photographer like you will turn out fine photographs with any camera and better than that with a camera that meshes well with your way of shooting. It appears you've found one, but I'd bet you'd do about as well with a few others too!

-Ray

5. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Pim
    Thanks Ray, appreciate your comments!. Yes I agree the camera is a tool, and my main tools are actually the Olympus PEN system. However I wanted a 1 lens set up for light travel and found the PEN kit lens a little limited. It is a fine lens, but of course the NEX has the sensor advantage, basically allowing me to get away with a slightly less faster kitlens, even in low light situations.

I have to admit after spending my first day with the NEX it seems just fine for me, I don't miss direct controls, I usually shoot auto ISO, auto WB (as I use RAW) and aperture priority 95% of the time, and that goes perfectly fine with the NEX. I configured it in such a way that for the 5% shots that require a different setting those settings are just a click or so away, works great for me and actually by simplifying the technical part of photography you are much more free to focus on the composition... and that makes or breaks a picture for me, not technical prowess.

6. Tonto

Tonto SC Rookie

Wow, great photos! Well done, very inspiring!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Very rustic set, i like those a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Beautiful. Love the compositions and the wonderful old school B&W print tonality you've used.

• Like Like x 1