1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flare - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ricoh GR (APS-C) Forum' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 12, 2014.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac SC Veteran

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    This intense spot of purple flare has been popping up whenever I get the sun slightly off axis...

Normal for the GR?

R0011466.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    any filters being used? I generally love flares, but I would make an exception for that one :wink:

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Pointing directly at the sun is always a risky business, but I've never seen anything like that before. Maybe others have.

4. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    No filters, and the front element is spotless.

I'm well aware of the risks of shooting into the sun, but this?

5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Are you highlighting the affected area with a purple ring or is that the flare pattern? If so, wow, I have some issues with flare on my old lenses (pre-60s) but nothing like that, also I'm addicted to pointing my cameras at the sun and never heard this sort of groaning from the GR before.

Is this an in-camera jpeg by any chance?

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    This was shot raw, and processed using Aperture 3 defaults. I haven't changed anything. The in-camera preview shows the same flare pattern, so it's not an Aperture issue.

7. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Seems slim that the purple ring is an artefact of the lens - a more solid purple flare pattern yes …as Nic pointed out here:
    ...but not this stark outline. I'd propose it's down to a 'misinterpretation' by the sensor - maybe as it's trying to make sense of the strength of light on the outside of the flare 'bubble'.

Again I've not seen this produced by my GR and I'm notorious for pointing my cameras at the sun.

You still in warranty?

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    I was thinking it could be a sensor issue.

I am still under warranty and due to a completely unrelated issue (they sold me a 'new' GR with a third party battery, and then looked confused when I said that might cause warranty issues :confused:) I actually had my unit replaced yesterday. Next time there's sun I'll try again and see if it was just an issue with that particular body.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Definitely, please, keep us informed mate. I did some research yesterday to try and help with your post and found nothing more on this specific issue. Fingers-crossed that means it was isolated to your unit (I say that with all due respect of course). I'd hate to have another Fuji x100 sticky aperture blade or x10 white orbs scare on our hands. The GR is just too darn good to deserve that…..and I'd been thinking about buying a few new ones to resell in 20 years or so when they become cult classics :wink:

10. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    Yeah the 'white orbs' was what sprung to my mind too. I haven't seen any other examples so hopefully it's all good...

11. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Being one that likes to shoot low and aim high so I get light through foliage etc.. I did at times get flare on the GR but never like that. And mine were generally whitish and not hard edged and neon colored.

12. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 20, 2014
    Launceston & Sydney
    Nick Clark
    Well, I've been out and about with my replacement GR, and unfortunately I don't think this was a one-off issue...

As before, these were all shot RAW and processed using Aperture 3 defaults. I don't think it's a processing issue as the purple blobs were all highly visible on the GR LCD during review...

12917124094_664da13d02_o.

12916704995_ffebabcbfd_o.

12916706035_4ef3f8d254_o.

• Like Like x 2
  13. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I found one in my catalogue that exhibits the same thing .....

R0000700.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    It's a hyper-susceptibility to UV at the sensor level combined with specific flaring that is heavy in the UV spectrum. The current generation of the Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras exhibit this on occasion when used with the Panasonic 7-14mm lens. The remedy for it is to use a Wratten 2A or 2E filter (which, in the case of this Panasonic lens, is a pain in the rear - as the filter needs to be either taped to the rear of the lens or the lens needs to be adapter with a filter-holder), but I see that the Ricoh GR doesn't accept filters directly. I don't know if this is a general issue with the Ricoh GR, or something particular to yours.

• Like Like x 1