Flickr deletes account ... no backup available

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by summerkl, Feb 3, 2011.

1. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Flickr accidentally nukes user's 4,000 photos - Feb. 2, 2011

Admittedly a rare occurrence but just in case in any SC member relies solely on Flickr ... time to backup the old school way on a portable hard drive.

Also interesting to see the comment about lagging development on Flickr due to Yahoo's overall operational challenges.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :eek: Kevin!

Fortunately, I've been quite happy with Flickr and not had any problems at all. I did, however, just explain to a friend (and she is a Luddite) that I did not think it wise to rely on any site such as Flickr as one's backup, for a variety of reasons.

I feel for the person/s who lost their photos. If anything this makes me realize how I must clean house in my Lightroom catalogue and create collections!!!

Kevin, if you wouldn't mind assigning one of your minions to keep tabs on this, I'd appreciate it. Seriously, I hadn't realized the big shake ups going on due to the Yahoo situation.

3. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I have some photos on Flickr that I haven't backed up.

No, wait.

Some photos are of the moment and not ones I care about. They're up for historic reasons only. I no longer have a backup for this one. I have other photos from that trip, but that one is one I put up to go with a blog post.