1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr "discrimination"...?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lightmancer, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    When I try to click on an image that someone has posted which is hosted on Flickr I always get the following, either here or elsewhere.

Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-46-43.

Now, I left Flickr years ago (when Meyer presided over the disastrous "there's no such thing really as professional photographers" make-under). I do not have a Yahoo or a Flickr account anymore (just as well in the light of the recent data breach...) and I have no intention of ever going near having one again.

This appears to be a recent thing. Am I the only one hitting this problem?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just tried it on a browser without being signed in and got the same result.

If you want nothing to do with the website, then you got your wish. :laugh1:

I guess it's like a "members-only" club. But that seems pretty messed up, if you ask me. What if I wanted to send a link to my mom of some old family photos I have there. Would she not be allowed to view them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Tried in a browser I had never accessed Flickr in, before, and just got the usual advertising stuff, but I was able to access explore etc. This is on the ipad. I'll try something on the mac and see what happens.

[edit] Nope, no issues at all. Same as always, can access flickr shots whether I am logged in or not, and whether I am using the usual browser or not.

OK on iPhone as well
    flickrshot.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Sue, have you tried clicking on a photo from here that is stored on flickr or are you just going direct to flickr?

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Both, and have not had a problem. The screenie above was from here

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    hmmmm...wonder why Bill and I get different results. I don't understand how stuff works. I'm old.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Nope - I just got it too - and I have a Yahoo account, so I authenticated - only to discover the photo's source album is private. Yet we're able to see a thumbnail of sorts posted here.

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    If you're old, I'm screwed, then. I think I have 30 years on you :D:eek:

Also... I was logged out on the iPad and I did get that screen on your "Death Awaits". Is your stuff still private?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Hmm. I've been poking and prodding a bit this morning. A bit more detail. Being on WiFi or mobile makes a difference, but not with all images. Some will show on a WiFi connection but on the same device, on the same browser, within seconds, if I flip to mobile, I get nothing. Some I get nothing on any device, on wired or WiFi or mobile.

Curiouser and curiouser...

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think the riddle has been solved. That error message happens on images marked by the flickrite as "private".

here's a "public" photo
    14816102588_e89dc700c7_c. IMGP3941 by Luke, on Flickr

and here's a "private" one......

27403294192_03d2e3db60_c. DSCF0007 by Luke, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Right, but you have to be logged out, or not a member to get that page, and then, when you do log in, you get the whoops you dont have permission page

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Clearly they've been reading all of the nasty things you say about them and they're trying to make life difficult for you. I say nice things about them and have zero problems.

Karma! ;)

-Ray

• Funny Funny x 4